MacBook Pro Won't Shut Off

Reaction score
I am having issues with this. Every time I try to shut off my MacBook Pro by using the shut down option, I sit and wait for it to shut down, and it never does. The only way I can get it to shut down is to press down the power button and hold it, for a hard shut down. This isn't hard, obviously, just kind of annoying. The last posts I saw related to this were dated in 2009, and talked about having to completely wipe off my computer and start fresh. Not only do I not know how to do this, but it doesn't sound pleasant.
Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
If you haven't yet, I 'd try Onyx. What version of OS X are you running? I'll find a link for you if I know your version. Onyx cleans out various parts of your computer and can rebuild launch services and other useful maintenance processes. Could just need a cleaning to freshen it up a little. Hopefully this will help.

- ImageX

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm running on Lion.

Another problem I'm having, is that yesterday and the day before my laptop randomly shut down on me. The first time, it felt really hot so I just let it sit for a while before I tried to turn it back on. Yesterday, I had to try multiple times before it would turn right back on right away, and it didn't even feel slightly warm. I asked my dad about it (he's a systems engineer) and he said apparently that's normal for macs? And that a way I could fix it was to take out the battery and put it back in, or do something with the RAM?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.