iPhoto, iTunes, & iPhone/iPad Photo Albums

Reaction score
I am unclear exactly as to what is the relationship between the various photo items.

The iPhone/iPad has Camera Roll, Photo Library, Last Import, Last 12 Months (and Photo Stream - but I am not concerned with that now).

What is the relationship between the Camera Roll and the Photo Library? For example, the iPhone Cameral Roll has 1 image and the Photo Library has 25 images.

Does Last Import/Last 12 Months show only items from the Photo Library?

When I connect to iTunes and look at the iDevice Photo tab in iTunes it says Sync photos from iPhoto.

I see that iPhoto has a Photo Library (as well as Last Import and Last 12 months). When I Sync in iTunes are the contents of the iDevice Photo Library being made identical to the contents of the iPhoto Photo Library (adding and deleting as needed)? I see that I can delete images in iPhoto (Move to Trash) but do not have the same option in iPhone Photo Library.

The contents of Camera Roll are not impacted by syncing?

Very confusing -- I think I need an organization chart or flow chart or ...:Confused:

Thanks

Mike

C

chas_m

Camera roll -- images taken on your mobile device.
Photo Library -- images imported to your device from iTunes.

Last Import/Last 12 months -- both are "filtered searches" that use the picture metadata to show you all photos that fit those criteria. For example, 12 months from now the photos that show up in "last 12 months" will be entirely different from the ones that show up in there now, since the current photos will be older than 12 months. I'm sure you get the idea. As for why only from the Photo Library, because it is separate from the Camera Roll *until you sync your mobile device back to iTunes.*

It's not that complicated.

OP
M
Reaction score
As for why only from the Photo Library, because it is separate from the Camera Roll *until you sync your mobile device back to iTunes.*

Would you please expand this comment a bit more? I had sync'd both devices before asking my questions. Also, only 1 of 25 images in the iPhone Photo Library images was taken by the iPhone camera.

Thanks.

Also, why doesn't the iPad have a Photo Library? I guess that is another point of confusion.

Thanks

It's not that complicated.

Thank you for the assistance.

OP
M
Reaction score
iPad - Camera Roll 22 images; Photos 47 images; Last Import 4 images; Last 12 months 22 images. Delete 1 from Camera Roll: Camera Roll 21 images, Photos 46 images. Photos contains both Camera Roll and iTunes iPhoto images (21 and 25)? How do I view just the iTunes iPhoto images on the iPad (i.e. the Photo Library)?

iPhone - Camera Roll 1 image; Photo Library 25 images; Last Import 3 images; Last 12 months 22 images. Add 1 image to Camera Roll, but the Photo Library stays at 25. That is the way I thought it work.

Why the difference and can I get just the photo library on the iPad?

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
Still confused: Camera Roll, Photo Library and iPhone photos - differences?

On my iPhone 4S, I have 3 "photo albums": Camera Roll (with the highest # of photos - 148), Photo Library (with sunflower icon) and iPhone. Photo Library and iPhone have the same # of photos (110), which is lower than the Camera Roll (148). I sync'd iPhone to iTunes, hoping that the Camera Roll will be entirely moved over, but that did not happen - in iTunes, I see only 110 photos i.e. the number from iPhone/Photo Library album... This *IS* confusing. I looked at the Apple support forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1168718?start=0&tstart=0 - that doesn't seem to help either. Anyone can offer a complete, and succinct summary of how this is really supposed to work (simply)?

C

chas_m

I'm afraid I don't know how to explain the difference between Camera Roll (hint: CAMERA!) and Photo Library (hint: LIBRARY!) any more clearly than I did above.

If you can manage it, I'd suggest you download the free e-book "iPad User Guide" from the iBookstore, which goes into more detail about the workings of the iPad including the camera and the default apps. Perhaps more visual details would help you "click" into what's going on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.