Removing Computer-to-Computer Network

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone!

I have researched this question for an hour now, and searched this forum for the answer, but proved unsuccessful, so I wanted to see if anyone had experienced this issue before.

The problem is with a computer-to-computer network. I created one, so that I could sync the tasks on my 'Things' app with my iPhone. Because I only needed the WiFi connection for a few seconds, I didn't bother securing it. I immediately disconnected from the network as soon as the sync was complete, and reconnected to my Company's WiFi network.

My boss came up to me about an hour later, and said that he saw my Computer-to-computer network in his list of available networks. This looks really bad, and may break our company's security policies. He requested that I shut the network down, but nothing I do seems to get rid of it. I had a coworker try to connect to it, and their computer said it was connected, even though I "disconnected" the network.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Thank you so much.

P.S. I had a similar issue with a computer-to-computer network I created with my iPad a few months ago, so I don't think this is an isolated incident.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Where did you create the network? On a Mac under System Preferences -> Network? If so, just remove it with the "-" from the list and it should be gone.

OP
D
Reaction score
I had tried that, but the network wasn't listed in System Preferences.

I did find the solution, however, and I thought I'd let you know for future reference.

The problem was that I had used my iPhone to connect to the Computer-to-Computer network. I then disconnected my MacBook Pro from the network, but did not disconnect the iPhone from the network. So, even though the original "host" (my MBP) was disconnected, the iPhone was maintaining the network.

Once I disconnected my iPhone, the network seems to have disappeared.

This is a cautionary tale, next time I do this, I will definitely be securing the network with a password, because if somebody had decided to connect to the network, it would've stayed out there until they disconnected.

Thanks for the advice, and I hope this post is able to help somebody else who is stupid enough to make this mistake too. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.