Works great, then peters out or stops working completely

Reaction score
My boss and I are connected to the same Comcast wifi network at her house. I'm working on a 15" Macbook Pro I bought this summer. She is working on a 13" Macbook Pro she bought couple years ago. Her internet seems to work fine all the time. I'm not sure how many bars she typically has but I think it's 3 or 4. Right now she has 4 bars and I have 2. Mine works sporadically. I normally have about 2 bars, sometimes 0. Webpages never give the failure to load--they just.. don't load (same with uploads and downloads). If I turn off airport and wait two minutes or so, and turn it back on, then the internet works or even works great for either a very short period (say seconds to a minute) or for several hours. Overall the internet seems to work about 1/2 the time, maybe a little more. Any ideas? I figured my having a newer computer would mean I wouldn't have a worse connection than my boss. We both are running OS 10.6.8

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Network - hifi highlighted on left - click Advanced button - remove the network from the Preferred Networks box by highlighting it, then clicking the minus button below.

Add a network by clicking the plus button.

Once I start having issues, I usually just go ahead and remove all the networks listed there and then add them back one at a time as I rejoin them.

OP
R
Reaction score
I deleted the connection and re-added it but it did not improve things at all. Any ideas why my boss' connection would be better than mine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.