Oh man could MicroSoft be any WORSE?? (Outlook)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Great, just lost someone's database.

Outlook 2011 asks me, do you want to import your information from Entourage (2004).

Yep, ok, continue

Wait 20mins

Error message "Outlook 2011 has encountered an error and cannot continue" only option is to click the Quit button.

Now both Entourage and Outlook 2011 contain blank databases with nothing of the past 5 years of emails.

Can you believe this badly written pos software? Outlook didnt think to make a copy and then import, to avoid this scenario?? Cannot find original Entourage database. All lost.

If M$ was a person, i'd happily pull the trigger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
While not defending Outlook, I have learned over many years to make my own backups of all data before upgrading anything.

Reaction score
While not defending Outlook, I have learned over many years to make my own backups of all data before upgrading anything.

Absolutely - always back up data before doing anything. With gmail I have my emails still on the gmail server and on my machine - you don't have an online repository of your emails?

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Absolutely - always back up data before doing anything. With gmail I have my emails still on the gmail server and on my machine - you don't have an online repository of your emails?

Well thats the beauty of Microsoft's horribly conceived email client.

It has possibly the dumbest feature i've ever seen, AND it's on as default

"Remove messages from servers after download"

Genius! Amazing Microsoft, amazing, delete the secure online backup, what a great idea

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.