Water on MacBook: leave asleep or wake up to turn off?

Reaction score
I couldn't find the answer to this question on the main thread about spilling liquid on a MacBook. I spilled some water on my keyboard, immediately turned it upside down and unplugged, then held it upside down while wiping it off with a towel and quitting out of everything (everything seemed to be working fine). Then I folded it shut, which put it to sleep, and set it aside, still upside down. My question is: everyone says to turn it off in this situation, but given that it's already asleep, is it worth the risk to wake it up in order to power it down, or am I better off letting it sleep while I wait for it to dry? Thanks.

Update: I was worried that it wouldn't dry while shut, so while holding it upside down I lifted the screen open, which woke it up, and shut it down using the mouse. Everything seemed to be working ok. There was a little condensation on the screen, which I wiped off. It's now propped upside down with its edges resting on a towel. I hope I won't regret having turned it off.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, I searched that thread and couldn't find an answer to this particular question. My computer still seems to be sleeping fine. Does anyone know whether I should wake it up just to turn it off? I realize some power may be flowing in there, but it seems potentially riskier to wake it up. Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
I hate to say it...but then you didn't look very hard!;)

Here you go...the official "i spilled liquid on my macbook what do i do now?" thread (located in the Apple Notebook section right where it should be):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Thanks, but that is the very thread I searched and could not find an answer in. It seems this question hasn't come up yet because people typically force their macbooks off after a spill by holding down the power button. But there is some evidence on the official thread that messing with the power button is especially risky when the computer is wet, and in any case it seems that waking up my computer would just increase the power flow and increase the risk of a short. So do you think I'm better off just letting it continue to sleep while I wait for it to dry inside?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.