New Powerbooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
austing said:
New powerbooks came out today boasting higher resolutions on 15 inch and the 17 inch, 20% brighter screen, and 22% increased batter life.

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000630064095/ all the details.

I'm pissed because I got mine at the end of September and didnt choose to get the Superdrive because of the extra cost and now they are standard and the price isnt any different than what I paid. I didnt even have my PowerBook the whole time between when I got it and now, I only had it for 3 days. I got it and sent it out the next day because the case was warped and then I got it back and it still wasnt fixed and then they had it for 2 weeks and I finally got it back yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 ghz Powerbook 15.2 inch screen 1 gig ram
I wonder if there is any way to upgrade the display on a powerbook? Like can I get the new display on my old powerbook? I've only had mine for about a month also...o well.

L

lil

No reason why not, you just need the 17" WSXGA+ panel, it's the same GPU, the only thing that may possibly differ is the connection to the mainboard may use a different cable; doubtful though.

Fact of life is that every computer will soon become yesterday's history sadly.

I bought my 12" PB in late Aug '05, so not even quite 2 months ago, but I'm too happy with it to be fussed :)

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so I would I get the display changed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im realizing this going to cost about $600...forget it.

L

lil

I thought that might change your mind when you saw how much those LCD panels are.

Realistically if you have the 17" with 1440x900, you're only short of 280 pixels width wise and 150 height wise; nothing too drastic.

Vicky

M

menace3054

lil said:
I thought that might change your mind when you saw how much those LCD panels are.

Realistically if you have the 17" with 1440x900, you're only short of 280 pixels width wise and 150 height wise; nothing too drastic.

Vicky

i dont care so much about the added pixels, but the added brightness would definately be nice.. so are the new displays like the xbrite ones?

S

sursuciofla

New Powerbooks and PowerMacs kick arse. I still love my ibook and since I am a student I still don't trust myself lugging around a PB in my specifically designed laptop backpack. I am more interested in the PowerMac more than anything though and will probably get one this summer after graduation. Those are sweet and I want before the Intel transition.

Reaction score
i have been hanging and hanging on cos apple have not updated the power book line since JAN. but last night i ordered a new power book hours after they came out. i would never get a mac once it has been around for 4 months because are asking for disappointment i few months later! saying that i have been struggling along with my old power book where firewire,CD/DVD rom have not worked + battery could no longer be removed. so i feel i really deserve it

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrat on your new purchase. :)

Reaction score
thank you but a purchase is all it is right now, i just have to wait for the thing to arive!

A

Alone2Gether

I ordered my 17" PB with the 72RPM HD yesterday at 12:41. This will be first Mac and I CANNOT wait!

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
Ordered my new 15"

Alone2Gether said:
I ordered my 17" PB with the 72RPM HD yesterday at 12:41. This will be first Mac and I CANNOT wait!

I have just ordered my new 15", plan to give my one from may to my other half. I cant wait to us ethe screen. Saw it in Micro anvika yesterday, so sold. Screen is superb, I dont get any other perks though. Wish I had saved my bucks in June, when I orded last powerbook fully kitted, as it all comes almost standard now...

Oh well such is life, as I am not intending to buy any intel macs until at leat a year after they come out. Ok may be thats not true, but I amnot really keen on intel on macs. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
apple_power said:
I have just ordered my new 15", plan to give my one from may to my other half. I cant wait to us ethe screen. Saw it in Micro anvika yesterday, so sold. Screen is superb, I dont get any other perks though. Wish I had saved my bucks in June, when I orded last powerbook fully kitted, as it all comes almost standard now...

Oh well such is life, as I am not intending to buy any intel macs until at leat a year after they come out. Ok may be thats not true, but I amnot really keen on intel on macs. :eek:neye:

If you had a system that was almost exactly the same... why not just save it for the centrino switch.... they are gonna be doing some really sweet stuff in June with the powerbooks. I read in Mac World that duel core centrinos code named yonah or something would be implemented in new systems.

Are you selling your old one?

A

Alone2Gether

Thanks. Right now it is in Shanghai with a expected delivery date of Oct. 26th via FedEx. Too bad I won't see it til Friday when I come home from college for the weekend.

Reaction score
lucky you mine "Preparing Shipment" phase so it must be wiating for the plane. it siad that it would take 8 days to come so i don't know weather thats 8 working days or 8 strate days so hopefully it will be will be firday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
That is just my luck, I've only had mine about 2 months now. Oh well, I still love it so no big deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.