clipboard

Reaction score
Hi all, i am new to this forum and i joined because i just bought a mac and find it difficult to adjust.

here is one of my questions: in windows, I find really useful the fact that the clipboard has a memory of 24 items i can copy, so for example i can just go through a document and copying different parts of it without pasting them one-by-one. Then, when i want to go to my new document i can view the copied items (24 max) and paste them at will.

Is there a similar feature in mac? if not, that's a pity. I only seem to be able to keep a single item in the clipboard (i know how to visualize it, form the finder ->Edit etc)

thanks to anyone that will take the time to respond!

C

chas_m

I was not aware that Windows clipboards allow for multiple items by default. Are you sure you didn't have a third-party program doing that?

In any case, the answer is to get a third-party multi-clipboard utility. There are tons of them for the Mac, ranging from free to not free. Just type in "clipboard" in the Mac App Store search to get a sample.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
Like chas m, all clipboards associated with Windows are single clips to the best of my knowledge.

When I came to Mac recently I had been enjoying a third party clipboard extender and had to have something similar. The Mac app called CopyLess has worked well and is available from the App Store. For many, the free edition is fine, but a version is available for a small price with higher capacity.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Then, when i want to go to my new document i can view the copied items (24 max) and paste them at will.
This is a feature of Office, not Windows. Office has its own clipboard that can store up to 24 items.

If you are using Office 2011, you can use the "scrapbook" which effectively does the same thing. Go to View > Scrapbook to open it. Highlight objects/text and simply click "Add" to add it to the scrapbook. Anytime you want to paste it, simply click "Paste."

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks a lot for your advice and specifications. I indeed realized the 24-item clipboard is a feature of office, not windows...what a beginner!!! what i found really useful is that you can use it for lots of stuff, e.g. copying different parts of a webpage, or a pdf document, etc., it sounds like the scrapbook will work pretty much the same way, and also that there are plenty of 3rd party clipboard extenders out there that will go beyond that.

I still do not have any Office installed on my Mac though, this is going to be one my next steps!

thanks a ton for your help, and the essay you shared!

C

chas_m

Before you jump into buying and installing Office 2011, have a look at Apple's more consumer-focused alternative, Pages (part of the iWork suite). I find a HUGELY superior option for people who are focused more on the content than the mechanics. Same goes for Keynote vs. PowerPoint and Numbers compared to Excel.

The iWork suite isn't for everyone, but who wants to live in a world where Office is the only way to do things? Not me!

If you don't mind incredibly ugly but highly functional, you can also check out the free OpenOffice/LibreOffice/NeoOffice et al.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.