Just got a new 27" iMac - Should I update to Lion before doing anything else?

Reaction score
Newbie here.

I just returned my brand new 15" I7 MacBook Pro to Staples (Ottawa) and got a 27" I5 iMac instead. My eyes couldn't take the small screen. The MacBook already had Lion on it. The iMac has OSX 10.6.7. The model identifier is iMac12,2.

Are there any benefits to installing Lion before doing anything else in terms of setting up the computer or can I install Lion later? Do I have to pay to update to Lion?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Newbie here.

I just returned my brand new 15" I7 MacBook Pro to Staples (Ottawa) and got a 27" I5 iMac instead. My eyes couldn't take the small screen. The MacBook already had Lion on it. The iMac has OSX 10.6.7. The model identifier is iMac12,2.

Are there any benefits to installing Lion before doing anything else in terms of setting up the computer or can I install Lion later? Do I have to pay to update to Lion?

Just my opinion here. I would say don't update to Lion yet. I would say play around with your Mac with 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on it for a while. I think that most folks have had positive experiences upgrading to Lion...but then some folks have reported some glitches.

I tend to be a bit more conservative when "adopting" a new OS (especially major upgrades like going from 10.6 to 10.7).

I know some early adopters may say go for it...and they may be right as well.:)

As far as does it matter if you upgrade now or later. Not really.

As far as do you have to pay for an upgrade to Lion. I'm actually surprised you got your computer brand new WITHOUT Lion. It's been about 3 months now since Lion was released...and I would think that all currently shipping Mac's would have Lion preinstalled.

Where did you purchase this Mac? From an Apple Store...or from some sort of other retailer who may not be moving their inventory as quickly (and might have had this computer in their inventory for a while...before Lion was released)?

You may be able to contact Apple...tell them you just bought this Mac...that it didn't have Lion pre-installed...and you wanted to know if you should qualify for a free Lion upgrade.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. Can I assume that you got this iMac from Staples in Ottawa? I'm guessing that Staples doesn't sell Mac's as quickly as the Apple Store...and this Mac may have been "older" inventory. Did you get any sort of special deal on it?

Reaction score
You will need to upgrade if you want to use iCloud -- otherwise no immediate need. I got my son a 13-inch MBP and it came with Snow Leopard too - but the upgrade is simple and won't cost anything. It does take awhile, however. I would not be overly concerned about using Lion especially on a new machine - if it was me, I would go ahead. I have not had any issues with Lion, period, on 4 Macs so far.

Cheers

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I tried to download the latest version of Xcode but it would not work as the latest version of XCode requires Lion. So it appears I need Lion. How to I get the free update to Lion? Do I have to provide evidence (eg a copy of my receipt) to Apple in order for them to waive the upgrade fee?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
If I remember correctly there is a link at the Apple Store for the free upgrade. You enter your serial number and if it applies it takes you to the download. I think the upgrade to Lion is a good move. In my opinion, there a enough things that work differently in Lion to make it easier to learn the "Lion Way" as a new user.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks. I just tried but it doesn't like my serial number. I have to fill out a web form and attach a copy of my sales receipt. Fingers crossed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.