What is the entry level iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I am a noob here. So I do not know the specs.

I do know that I want a 21 inch iMac if I were to get one, because the 27 will not fit where I want to put it. And this is also my first iMac. So I think that an entry one will be good.

Also I want it to be powerful enough to use final cut studio and photoshop cs5. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
These are the details for the standard 21.5" iMac:

2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
500GB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

If you're going to be doing a lot of photo/video processing, then you may want to consider purchasing an extra few GB's of RAM. Another 8 would do the trick, taking you up to 12GB. Although I wouldn't do this through Apple, but rather a normal components supplier such as OWC or Crucial, as Apple charges the earth for spec'ing up their products.

8GB additional RAM would set you back about $50/£40 online.

The cost of the bog standard iMac (Which I have, and is pretty amazing for the cost) is $1199/£999.

Here's a few links you may want to check out;

iMac Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com

These will direct you to the US sites, but non-US versions are there on the site.

Good luck, and happy shopping!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am a noob here. So I do not know the specs.

I do know that I want a 21 inch iMac if I were to get one, because the 27 will not fit where I want to put it. And this is also my first iMac. So I think that an entry one will be good.

Also I want it to be powerful enough to use final cut studio and photoshop cs5. Let me know what you think.

If you have decided on the 21" iMac (because of space limitations) great!:) There are only two different models...so there's really not a lot of decisions/choices to make. The "better" 21" iMac cost's $300 more...and has a little bit better video hardware, a larger hard drive, and a slightly faster cpu.

iMac's pretty much cannot be upgraded (ram is easily upgraded, HD can be upgraded, but isn't easy). So you have to buy as much as you can up front. Just like almost all laptops...once you buy it...you're pretty much stuck with what you got.

With an iMac...we are DEFINITELY not talking about a desktop "WinTel box"...where almost everything is upgradeable or swappable. With an iMac, just about everything is integrated. Kind of think of an iMac as a laptop for your desk (in terms of hardware design).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.