iCloud and MS Office for Mac

Reaction score
I was looking so forward to iCloud, because I thought it would make it so much simpler for me to access all of my documents on my iMac at work on my Macbook or iPhone when I travel, or on my iMac at home. Now, unless I'm missing something, it appears that my MS Office Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files don't go into the cloud. Am I right? Am I back to remembering to copy everything to a flash drive before leaving the office?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Correct - MS Office has not been rewritten to support iCloud yet. From various rumors, I would expect it sometime in the future, but no guess as to when. Another option would be to use DropBox to transfer documents back and forth.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks. I thought as much; I'll try Drop Box, or carry on with the flash-drive-thing.

Reaction score
Dropbox works great! access to all my office documents from my ipad, windows pc and macbook pro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
If you have the 2011 version of MS Office, it should come with Live Mesh which is Microsoft's version of iCloud. Little more manual setup but gives you cloud access to your Microsoft documents (and anything else you want). I run both on my MBP and haven't seen any issues doing so.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I use Dropbox for this - it's great. I can work on my MBP on a set of documents - and they're automatically updated on my iMac and, if I want, the iPad. Dropbox will serve as a great surrogate until MS is integrated with iCloud.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, I'll throw my support behind Dropbox as well. Another service you may want to look into is Google Docs (or any other web based word processor). The benefit of using those lies in not needing to have Office on the machine that you're working on. The only requirement there is a browser which you'd have anyway if you were online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.