Do I upgrade my Hard Drive or buy an external hard drive?

Reaction score
I have an old school macbookpro and due to my hard drive breaking this summer and needing to get a quick fix I now only have a 100gb hard drive (sad times). So I know this will fill quickly but my questions is would be it be cheaper/better to get an external hard drive and save stuff to that, or to get a bigger internal hard drive installed for me?

And if anyone has one that they wanna sell at a reasonable price please let me know.

Thanks xx

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
HDDs are pretty inexpensive. I remember paying 200 dollars for 320 GB now they sell for around 50 dollars. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
External all the way, dirt cheap now, 1TB for £50 here.

Reaction score
Depends on what you do - if you are on the road a lot it's a pain having to connect the external drive all the time to access your files, music or movies. In that case I would upgrade the internal drive. If you don't care having to hook up the external HDD before accessing your files go external.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.