bust buy or Apple store ?

Reaction score
Ok is there a preference - looking at Imac 27" will b my first apple computer just tired of the windows problems and viruses.
Thanks Ohio Phil

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why are you asking?

Prices will not be any different (at least nothing significant)...so Apple is always my preference.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my opinion...you can't beat Apple when it comes to knowledge. Who could be better!!;)

Service...again...can't beat Apple!!! Look at their customer satisfaction ratings.:)

Warranty...well...if you want to pay for it...Best Buy does have their "Black Tie" plan...which covers accidents (one incident/plan). Apple's warranty does not cover accidents.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I definitely don't go to Best Buy because they have the best knowledge, for anything..and the Mac's come with 1 year Applecare from Apple with your purchase and you can extend that to 3 years from date of purchase..that warranty is handled by Apple and a LOT better than any other warranty program out there, so you'll want to steer very clear of any Best Buy warranty..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
There's a couple of very good reasons to purchase from Apple. For one thing, if you want to return or exchange the product, Best Buy will charge you a restocking fee, and Apple will not. Apple is also a lot more flexible when it comes to returns or exchanges. There's a 14 day return policy, but usually they will be ok with 30 days as well.

Secondly, if you want to purchase Apple's One to One plan (please look it up on apple.com to see what that entails) you can not do so if you've purchased your Mac at Best Buy.

Otherwise, you've got a year of Apple Care either way, and can extend the Apple care for an additional two years anytime between the date of purchase or a year from that time. Honestly, if you don't care about One to One service, and want the insurance plan from Best Buy, then there's nothing wrong with that.

However, I would not trust Geek Squad techs with my Mac vs an Apple Genius. They simply don't have the same training and that counts for a lot to me.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 In iMac, 1TB HDD, i3 processor,Running OS Lion.
Agreed. Goto the Apple store. I purchased from Best Buy, and I feel that I knew more than the sales rep, (And I am a new Mac user....). Proprietary=WIN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
Lots of Best Buy hate here. For good reason too - they really do suck. I would avoid any best buy service plans, so that leaves you with apple care. If you are purchasing it new, and you have both in your town, go to the apple store. If you don't have an apple store, then Best Buy may be quicker. If you are looking to save some money, Best Buy may have good deals on display models or open box items. I was able to get my 13" i5 MBP from Best Buy for $915 before taxes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 In iMac, 1TB HDD, i3 processor,Running OS Lion.
Lots of Best Buy hate here. For good reason too - they really do suck. I would avoid any best buy service plans, so that leaves you with apple care. If you are purchasing it new, and you have both in your town, go to the apple store. If you don't have an apple store, then Best Buy may be quicker. If you are looking to save some money, Best Buy may have good deals on display models or open box items. I was able to get my 13" i5 MBP from Best Buy for $915 before taxes.

That was the only good thing about Best Buy. Got my 27" iMac for $999 before taxes. Just because of open box. But still....goto the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
So I will play the devils advocate here I have a MBP 13" which I purchased at best buy I also have a 27" iMac which I purchased at apple store. Ok so with both i had a good experience. at best buy they had a guy working there who was super knowledgeable "caveat he now works a apple store lol" the MBP was my first ever mac and he helped me thru the process fine. I bought the apple care and best buy threw in some sort of geek scaud support which I used once and gave up on and made an appointment at the apple store to get the problem fixed. Not much needs to be seid about the apple store they know what they are talking about. Your best bet i think would be to stop buy the best buy see if they have any great open box deals and if not off to apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If you do choose Best Buy, ask to speak to the Apple Solutions Consultant... they are Apple employees assigned to most stores, and help to bring a little bit of the Apple Store culture into Best Buy. Definitely the highlight of my BB visits. And yes, I bought my MBP from BB, but only because the closest Apple Store was about two hours away. But if both stores were equally convenient, I'd choose the Apple Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.