Hard drive not recognised

Reaction score
I have a My Book 2 TB Hard Drive that I got in July. Not expecting things to go wrong so quickly, I put a few things on there without backing them up elsewhere, intending to do that as soon as would be possible. I did not get that chance and a few weeks ago I had to force a shutdown while it was running, and since then it just will not show up at all.

I have tried it on my MacBook (10.5.8), my Mum's MacBookPro (10.6.?) and our iMac (10.7.2) and it does not appear at all, even in Disk Utility. I have tried resetting PRAM settings as suggested in other thread and I have tried the obvious turning everything off and on again several times over.

I therefore have two queries: is there anything else I can try to make it work? and if not would I be able to recover the data myself or should I go to a technician?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I therefore have two queries: is there anything else I can try to make it work? and if not would I be able to recover the data myself or should I go to a technician?

You've done about all you can. Forcing a shutdown when a drive is running (accessing data) usually causes some damage. If the drive can not be seen at all by Disk Utility it's unlikely that special recovery software would work to gain access to your files. You can give it a try, however.

Disk Warrior may work. I suggest downloading a trial copy if possible otherwise it will cost $99. Taking the drive to a special drive recovery service is very costly and unless the data on the drive is critical, it's just not worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.