• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I get a resolution suitable for full screen viewing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Hey guys. I am currently making an ongoing YouTube video series using my MacBook. I am using Photo Booth to record with the built in iSight Camera and then editing with iMovie HD (from iLife '06) and exporting using the "web streaming" preset. I reverted to the older version of iMovie over the summer when I was finding that newer versions (namely '09) were lacking of what I was looking for (such as proper stereo sound for extracted audio, etc.). The problem is, I am left with 320x440 video, which looks mediocre when viewed on YouTube, and HORRIBLE if you view in full screen. My question is: how can I edit with iMovie '06, and get a good quality resolution when exporting? It doesn't need to be HD necessarily, but something that is decent when viewed at full screen on YouTube. Also, if I need to export a second time with another program, I am willing to do the extra time with processing. What I don't want though is HUGE 1GB+ files that are basically impossible to upload to YouTube. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You're limited to the resolution of the iSight camera which is 640x480. If you create an iSight movie in iMovie6 and Share to Quicktime at full quality, all you will get is 640x480. If you create a DV movie and Share at full quality you'll get 720x576, which is 640x480 scaled up.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear I'm afraid.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Full quality gives me 1GB+ files anyway, which are a little too big. I have a digital camera that I believe records at 720p. Would that be suitable if exported? Is there a way to export HD video without oversized filesizes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Your camera will be fine. If you Share to Quicktime, if you choose the basic settings, it gives you an estimate of the file size. From personal experience with Youtube, the CD-ROM setting is what I use. Even so, with HD, that might be over the Youtube limit.

If so, use the Expert Settings, click on the Options button and in Video settings, choose h.264. That will give you the best quality for the smallest file size.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is CD-ROM quality generally better than Web Streaming?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.