Wireless Access Point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have this particular question and I don't know where else to ask.

I recently moved in to a new apartment and I can't afford right now to hire an internet service here in this country which is Brazil, where internet is a luxurious product, held by a few highly lucrative corporations. Prices are sky high, service is bandwidth limited and overall poor.

But from here I get into an unprotected wireless network, although it seems to be a little far and most of the time, Airport accuses only 1 or 2 dots of connection strenght.

What I did, I set my old house's Asus Wireless Router. Not knowing what exactly to do, I set it as a repeater. That means that it is just an extention of that open network, same name, same everything. It worked fine til a new neighbor arrived next door, then the wireless net became painfully slow. I'm afraid he's also connected there and downloading full-time cause late at night I can still see the rooter's lights blinking non stop.

As a solution, althouth I dont know if its possible, I thought of creating a new network, protected, which gets its internet directly from that wireless open network. I know it would be possible by connecting it via network cable, but wirelessly? Is it possible? Would someone help?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm not even sure where to start with this post. I guess first I'll ask - is it legal in your country to use someone else's internet service?

2nd - what you've described won't change anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
That's funny. So you're using someone else's network thats not password protected and now that your neighbor is too you want to protect it so that he can't use it. No it's not possible and maybe you might want to get your own internet access or go to a place that allows the open use of internet when you need it. Imagine how the person who is paying for internet feels with all the people hogging bandwidth.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's funny. So you're using someone else's network thats not password protected and now that your neighbor is too you want to protect it so that he can't use it. No it's not possible and maybe you might want to get your own internet access or go to a place that allows the open use of internet when you need it. Imagine how the person who is paying for internet feels with all the people hogging bandwidth.

lol

Here it's not illegal to use someone else's internet. I guess its not ilegal anywhere as long as its unprotected.

It's just a technical question not morality. Those who never used someone else's internet, than throw the first stone...

Is it possible?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You cannot do what you want purely on wireless connection..and this is totally unethical if not entirely illegal..I can't imagine many members here will try to offer you help on this..

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Stealing bandwidth from a neighbor or connecting to their router without their permission is generally illegal here in the US and at Mac-Forums, we adhere to US law.

You have your answer anyway - what you're trying to do - cannot be done in the manner that you have described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.