unnamed process in activity moinitor

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So my computer has been having it's fans run at times when almost nothing is running (IE no programs are really launched). I checked activity moinitor and there was an unnamed (completely blank line) process at the top of the list using ~40% cpu. It's PID is 371 and it says it's part of launchd. Here's its opened files and ports:

/
/System/Library/Extensions/SMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SMARTLib
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/dev/null
->0xffffff8016f1e340
->0xffffff8016f1e340
count=1, state=0x2

It's also considered under my processes - so not under system. I tried sampling it but it just freezes when I try.

Is this bad???!?

Please help me remove this if it is. Let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
kill the process, what happens?

OP
N
Reaction score
I force quit the process, and no change, nothing seems to have been affected or changed. I should add I did this when the fans had settled down a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Late 2011), OSX 10.9.1
I'm really new to UNIX terminal commands. I'm having the same thing - its PID is 389. Additionally, my computer name is now listed as "tony-pc", for example, "tony-pc:~ Matt$ sudo sample 389" instead of "Matthews-MacBook-Pro:~ Matt$ ping google.com" as it was yesterday. I checked System Preferences, and yep, sure enough, my computer name was supposedly still Matthew's MacBook Pro. Any idea on this?

Reaction score
Just checked... While I have an unnamed process on my desktop, I don't on the Macbook.
This thread: Unknown/unnamed iStat process.. help? - MacRumors Forums they seem to think it has to do with Dashboard. If that were so, why doesn't it show up on the portable. Got Dashboard running on both.
Still looking into it.

Edit: hmm.. wonder if it has to do with Time Machine? Not using it on the Macbook, am using it on the iMac.
Something to think about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.