Macbook boot problem

Reaction score
Not sure if it is the logical board or the hard disk.

It's freezing on the grey Apple logo with spinning gear screen. It will not go in to safe mode.

With the OS install disk the disk utility repairs & verifies the hard drive as being ok. however, if I try to install the OS on that disk it says that Mac OS cannot start up from this disk.

Guessing its time for a new toy, but any ideas?

Reaction score
Not sure if it is the logical board or the hard disk.

It's freezing on the grey Apple logo with spinning gear screen. It will not go in to safe mode.

With the OS install disk the disk utility repairs & verifies the hard drive as being ok. however, if I try to install the OS on that disk it says that Mac OS cannot start up from this disk.

Guessing its time for a new toy, but any ideas?

Freezing could be a sign of bad memory. Do you know how to work on computers? If so, the memory on a MacBook is pretty easy to take out. I would try to take out one of the modules and see what happens.

In Mac OS X Setup, you have to make sure that the disk is formatted as GUID Partition Table; OS X won't install unless it is. You can do that in Disk Utility. Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.