What will Siri evolve into? - Discussion

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
So - ever since I laid eyes on Siri - I've been excited about playing with it - and my iPhone 4S is supposed to arrive tomorrow - so I may have to sneak out of work a little early. :)

Since we know Siri is still in beta - I'm wondering what Apple's ultimate plans look like for Siri. I think Siri has incredible potential to collect useful (to someone) personal data in massive quantities on a user, possibly surpassing Google's.

The pessimist in me worries that it may lead to unwanted advertising from Siri, or perhaps advertisers who sign up with Apple influencing her responses. A paid version of Siri? Who knows. Just something I was thinking about the other day so - have at it. What do you think?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't like the idea of Siri being soiled by advertising. >_<"

Siri will evolve into HAL 9000. :p Sorry couldn't help it.

OP
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I can see Siri being a big benefit to people who are visually impaired and are keen to use modern ( pocket size ) communication systems.

Cheers ... McBie

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Siri over time won't wait to be asked to help, but will spontaneously activate and give (unwanted) advice.
She will tell you how fortunate you are to have her, and how she could have had the pick of any user . . .

;)

BTW lest you think otherwise, my wife is nothing like the above, for which I am TRULY thankful. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Siri over time won't wait to be asked to help, but will spontaneously activate and give (unwanted) advice.
She will tell you how fortunate you are to have her, and how she could have had the pick of any user . . .

;)

BTW lest you think otherwise, my wife is nothing like the above, for which I am TRULY thankful. :)

Think Siri will get jealous? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think Siri will make it to other devices and have some off-line functionality once out of beta. At least I hope so!

I would like to see Siri be able to handle settings changes like turning wifi or BT off and on.

It'll also be interesting to see how app developers make use of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Reaction score
siri has replaced angry birds as my new fav other thing to do while on the throne. i just start swearing at it & calling it names & giggle at the responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I can also see Siri integrated in (Apple) TV's.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I told her last night she wasn't being very helpful (I asked her why my Apple ID wouldn't work - and she just responded by giving me the location of Apple Stores in Idaho - LOL)

Her response to me: "I respect you" :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I told her last night she wasn't being very helpful (I asked her why my Apple ID wouldn't work - and she just responded by giving me the location of Apple Stores in Idaho - LOL)

Her response to me: "I respect you" :D

She didn't add, "I think we should just be friends . . ." ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Beyond the humorous responses, I haven't used it enough to really see a huge benefit. Other than asking weird questions (just to see the answers) and other inane drivel, I have used it to make 2 calls and send/respond to a few texts.

Now, I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to hear it speak texts received. It may already, I don't know. If it does, then it is a step closer to making the roads safer. And bonus if it can translate "lolspeak" to actual English (or whatever language your phone is in)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It will read back texts, but only unread ones, and then it won't repeat them. This is a little annoying to me if I missed something in a message and need to hear it again. Something as basic as "read message again" or "read last message from . . . " should be a no-brainer to implement.

I guess that's why it's in beta.

PS: I don't know how it is with other BT headsets, but it works great with my Jawbone Icon. I just hit the button on the headset and it activates Siri!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.