Wifi: hardware not installed

Reaction score
Please let this be just software!

I was playing WOW and all of a sudden the computer froze. MacBook pro 13" lion 10.7.2.

Took a long time to reboot, tried several reboots.

Now I can reboot and it says wifi:hardware not installed.

Cleared pram and smc

Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What does your System Profiler application say about WiFi?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the airport card may have died. Is your MBP still under warranty or extended Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and take it on in. If not, post back and we'll go from there.

OP
T
Reaction score
No, it is not under any warrantee. I believe the card is located in the display.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Are you adept at doing your own repairs? That is opening up the MBP and changing the card yourself?

Both of these on line dealers sell the card and have instructions for changing it out:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

I am a technician by trade. I have never opened up the MacBook Pro screen. For my work I have to work on PC related hardware. If I can open the screen without damaging it then I'm not Gonna have a problem. If I am able to buy the card using those links then I'll just research on how to open up the screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sound like you have a handle on it then. Just follow the instructions given for swapping it out and you should be OK. Let us know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.