How do I buy audio books?...

Reaction score
I want to buy a new audio book, Nearing Home by Billy Graham. iTunes doesn't carry it in audio version. Amazon will sell me a kindle version and Barnes & Noble will sell me a nook version...neither is very useful to me, obviously. I Googled how to buy audiobooks on iPad. I found an ad for MyPadMedia.com that offers a lifetime of free downloads of books, magazines, newspapers, and games for a one-time charge of $49.95. That site will not even let me see what books are available without spending money and I could not find any unbiased customer reviews anywhere. Please help...this is way more difficult than I was planning it to be. Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I want to buy a new audio book, Nearing Home by Billy Graham. iTunes doesn't carry it in audio version. Amazon will sell me a kindle version and Barnes & Noble will sell me a nook version...neither is very useful to me, obviously. I Googled how to buy audiobooks on iPad. I found an ad for MyPadMedia.com that offers a lifetime of free downloads of books, magazines, newspapers, and games for a one-time charge of $49.95. That site will not even let me see what books are available without spending money and I could not find any unbiased customer reviews anywhere. Please help...this is way more difficult than I was planning it to be. Thanks!

Why isn't the Kindle version useful to you?

I have never bought an audiobook but buy most of my eBooks from Amazon. Kindle APP for iPad and iPhone works quite well.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
MyPadMedia does not purchase any of their content - it is a scam site - they get their content by pirating and having their members upload their personal content and then sell a single price lifetime subscription. Billy Graham, nor his foundation, nor any other author of any content anywhere will get a single penny of the money you give those guys.

They won't let you see what's there, because you may not join once you find out they don't have the book(s) you're looking for. It is a scam.

The book you are looking for is not available anywhere as an audio book download that I could find. If you want the audiobook format right now, you're going to need to purchase the CD. The Kindle and Nook versions are naturally ebooks - not audio books.

It's availalble on CD at Amazon with a 1-3 week lead time. As this book was just released a few days ago (hence in first run), you are not going to find it available on the web at any of the standard audio book sites. Many audiobooks are not available until 6 months to a year after release. From what I could find, it's not even available on CD at the Billy Graham site.

If you want to wait until it's available as an audiobook download, your best bet is going to be keeping a look out for it at Audible.com.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I misread the first post, obviously my coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Now I understand, for some reason thought the issue was Amazon as a source, not the unavailibilty of the audiobook format.

Off to get another cup.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm not sayin' a word. :Lips-Are-Sealed: Do the same myself all too often.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here it is at Amazon - to be in stock Tuesday - 10/25.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Google the books title. If it exists, you'll find it.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's not my problem...it does exist...I just can't buy it without a subscription to a service. I'm looking to buy it outright without buying into a service such as audible.com.

OP
S
Reaction score
RazorMAC, thanks for letting me know about the Kindle APP for iPad...I didn't know it existed. Good to know if I want ebooks in future. (of course...there's an app for everything...should have figured out that one).

OP
S
Reaction score
MyPadMedia does not purchase any of their content - it is a scam site - they get their content by pirating and having their members upload their personal content and then sell a single price lifetime subscription. Billy Graham, nor his foundation, nor any other author of any content anywhere will get a single penny of the money you give those guys.

They won't let you see what's there, because you may not join once you find out they don't have the book(s) you're looking for. It is a scam.

The book you are looking for is not available anywhere as an audio book download that I could find. If you want the audiobook format right now, you're going to need to purchase the CD. The Kindle and Nook versions are naturally ebooks - not audio books.

It's availalble on CD at Amazon with a 1-3 week lead time. As this book was just released a few days ago (hence in first run), you are not going to find it available on the web at any of the standard audio book sites. Many audiobooks are not available until 6 months to a year after release. From what I could find, it's not even available on CD at the Billy Graham site.

If you want to wait until it's available as an audiobook download, your best bet is going to be keeping a look out for it at Audible.com.
Bobtomay, your post was a HUGE help. In this age of instant everything, I had no clue that audio lags behind first releases by 6-12 months. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info that the site I mentioned is a scam...all sorts of alarms were going off in my head...your info certainly confirmed my gut reaction.
Back to my original problem...I planned to listen to Nearing Home with my mom...thought it would bring her comfort. I will have to break down & buy the CDs...I don't know if she'll still be alive in 6-12 months. But I digress...
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.