Time Machine file deletion: Error code -8003

Reaction score
:\
I was trying to delete time machine back up files from my external hard-drive so I could clear space for other item, and dragged them into trash.

Now I can't empty trash as I get this message "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)." and can't send them back as you can't modify time machine files :Not-Amused:

I know I've been very very stupid, but I'm old and just need help, can anyone sort me out???

Opium

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did that a couple of times when I was starting over fresh and wanted to get rid of the old files.

Did you try a Secure Erase from Finder File drop down? I can't remember what I did, but give that a try.

OP
O
Reaction score
I get the same error message with that. I've also tried using the Terminal in utilities to delete, but no luck with that.

:Confused:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will see what I can come up with and get back to you. Only once in all the times I have done that did I get that error. Been so long can't remember what I did.

OP
O
Reaction score
Error Code (-8003)

Having just dragged Time machine files to the trash off my external hard-drive, I now can't empty the trash can. I've tried moving them back but won't let me. I've tried emptying using Terminal and Trash-it. Trash-it managed to empty non Time machine files, but they are just stuck there!

Anyone got any ideas?

Christine

Reaction score
I have the problem "error code -8003" too

I have this problem too :'(
Only I reformatted my external HD thinking that would solve the problem, now I have 124GB 'stuck' in my Trash

Reaction score
OK, I'm game, but how did TrashIt! work? The files are in the nebulous area between being on the external HD and in the trash. I can't move them back to the ext. HD as there isn't room. I've tried doing a terminal fix and also trashburner--nada. Also, I have a couple of .avi files that are in the trash (from the ext. HD and they refuse to erase as well. As a side note, does anyone actually know what error code "8003" indicate? It seems that it would be easier to craft a solution if we knew what 8003 indicated.

Reaction score
I have the problem "error code -8003" too

I really have no idea how "Trash it" worked (I tried my very best reading up on it, but I'm not that technically minded, so in the end just trusted others in the other forum), but it did, and it's gone.

I only had to use it the once, and so far, touch wood, there's not been any side effects :D

Reaction score
Terminal vs Trash iT

Trash it would not clear up the - 8003 error that was preventing my trash from clearing even though it said it did. So I used the command line sudo rm -rf / and then specified each of the volumes of my mac followed by the /.Trashes and bingo bango bongo - trash is cleared.

As a sidenote, I got all happy with myself and even specified my thumb drive but forgot to put the /.Trashes and prematurely hit enter and lost everything on my thumb drive. Small price to pay to learn to be more careful and patient when using terminal.

Andrew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.