sleep timer for iPad2? How do I do it?

Reaction score
I tried searching this forum for this question but only found 2 posts both over a year old asking this same question. One didn't get any answer and the other one had one reply of "there is none".

Surely this $700 iPad has the ability to set a timer to put it to sleep automatically so that it doesn't run all night long when I fall asleep watching it. I used my iPod touch in this manner to have something to focus on so that I can fall asleep without having my tinnitus keep me awake for hours. Now I have the iPad to replace the iPod touch but can't find a way to make it go to sleep automatically by setting a timer. I have searched every setting I could but still can't find how to do this. Can someone help me?

thank you,
Cindy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive
Unfortunately, that would have to be a setting within the app itself. Check to see if the app you're using to watch video has a sleep timer, or maybe an auto-lock setting. There is no single app you can install to put the entire iPad to sleep after, say, half an hour. Third-party iOS apps just don't have that kind of root-level access.

On the iPhone, now, you could just set a timer in the Clock app and select "When Timer Ends: Go to Sleep." But this won't be possible until, and unless, Apple decides to make a Clock app for iPad.

(Seriously, why is there no Clock app?)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Awaken works great with the iPod app for music. I use it with audio books. There is nothing that will work with videos that I'm aware of. After the video ends, it should auto lock after whatever you have your inactive time set for.

Why the Clock app was not put on the iPad (and still hasn't been) - who knows - Apple has been mum about it and it's been asked for since about the 1st day the iPad was released.

OP
C
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that would have to be a setting within the app itself. Check to see if the app you're using to watch video has a sleep timer, or maybe an auto-lock setting. There is no single app you can install to put the entire iPad to sleep after, say, half an hour. Third-party iOS apps just don't have that kind of root-level access.

I'm not using an "app" to watch videos on it, I'm just using whatever the iPad came with to watch video. You can only play, pause, and fastforward or reverse and of course click "done" when you want to quit it.

This is totally unbeliveable! If Apple has it on the iPod touch it shouldn't be a problem for them to also put it on the iPad.

I'll keep watching this posting though, maybe someone will find something or Apple will eventually offer an update for the problem.

Thanks,
Cindy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.