Airport saying password incorrect

Reaction score
I am trying to connect an Ibook (running 10.35) to my netgear wireless router that connects my macbook fine ... it keeps saying that my password is incorrect when I have checked and it is fine ... I have trawled the forums for help with this but nothing has worked - any suggestions would be VERY gratefully received!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How do you have the router set up will it broadcast in both G and N if set for N only that
can be a problem along with N 2.4GHz for older gear.
What model MacBook and router ?

OP
E
Reaction score
The router is a netgear WGR614v9 wireless router and whilst the password works for my macbook an older ibook can see the network but keeps telling me that the password is wrong ... interestingly I can't login to my router though as that keeps telling me the password is wrong too - have tried resetting but that has made no difference

argh :-(

the ibook is quite an old one running panther 10.35 whilst my macbook is running leopard 10.58

thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
There's a good possibility that your iBook can only use WEP encryption, but you've set the router and Macbook up to use the newer WPA.
(I don't have an iBook to confirm this)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right. She can only use WEP with that iBook. As for the problem with the router, try using the mechanical reset. Usually a small button or hole on the bottom or back. That will reset the router password back to factory default.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you so much - that was exactly it and after having the courage to press the reset button on the router and resetting the wireless settings all machines are now working perfectly - :-D thank you thank you thank you!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.