bootcamp partition readable but won't boot

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but there are 298 threads to search through!...

MacBook Pro, 17", 2009, 8GB. Pre-installed with Leopard when bought new.

1. Soon after buying, I created a second partition, installed Windows 7 on it, and everything worked a charm. Dual-booting with ease, and I also ran VMWare Fusion successfully for a while, but had to abandon it.

2. Upgraded to Snow Leopard. Everything still worked fine.

3. Upgraded to Lion. Everything still worked fine.

4. I developed a need to downgrade from Lion to Snow Leopard (for reasons not relevant to the problem) but could not find an easy way to do it.

5. I used Disk Utility to split the Lion partition into two pieces. I installed Snow Leopard on the new empty partition. Snow Leopard now works. Lion now works. From both Snow Leopard and Lion I can see the Windows partition, and I can browse and open files on it. I can run Startup Disk in either OS/X and it offers me the option to start-up using the Windows partition.

6. When I try to boot into Windows, it fails to find a bootable partition. If I use Disk Utility, I can see the Windows partition, and if I ask it to Verify, it says "Verify volume failed - Invalid request". Finally, if I use Spotlight to look for BootCamp Assistant (per your introductory sticky), it can't find it. In fact it does not even find anything if I look for BootCamp>

Any suggestions, anyone?...:\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you need to repair the Windows partition in order to make it bootable again. It's likely the Windows 7 boot sector has somehow gotten corrupted or the pointer file no longer points to the correct partition.

Try these instructions. Note you will need your original Windows 7 DVD. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.