virus question

Reaction score
So I've never had any problems with my macbook virus wise but had an issue recently with my bank account being compromised online and they said it was compromised on my end but it doesn't seem to make sense. What happened is I logged into my RBC account at which point I was directed to what looked like any other RBC page telling me I needed to update my security questions. Well I did that and then had to relogin and everything seemed fine. Well I guess after that someone logged in and tried to transfer funds but they caught it and denied it. The bank told me I must have a trojan but I can't find anything. It just sounds funny to me, like their login page was hacked or something. Just curious if anyone has any opinions or suggestions on this.
thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
So I've never had any problems with my macbook virus wise but had an issue recently with my bank account being compromised online and they said it was compromised on my end but it doesn't seem to make sense. What happened is I logged into my RBC account at which point I was directed to what looked like any other RBC page telling me I needed to update my security questions. Well I did that and then had to relogin and everything seemed fine. Well I guess after that someone logged in and tried to transfer funds but they caught it and denied it. The bank told me I must have a trojan but I can't find anything. It just sounds funny to me, like their login page was hacked or something. Just curious if anyone has any opinions or suggestions on this.
thanks.
Haven't seen any new Trojans of that sort since this.

Virus Bulletin : News - Phishing trojan targets Mac OSX

If you do a thread search of the forums here you shoul find a bit more info and directions for identifying and removal.

EDIT: Here is a thread with a link to a removal tool

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/in...less/227112-dns-flush-mbpro-snow-leopard.html

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Razormac, I googled all over and couldn't find anything myself but will check out that thread. I just want to make sure its clean before I reactivate my online banking. you know they'll never admit in a million years if it was on their end.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Just to be clear - you're not using Windows on your Mac are you? (that would change the above answers)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you have been scammed and of course the bank will deny the problem is at their end as that may well make them liable for any losses. And it will be of no value telling them you are using a Mac, as their IT staff are all Windows only experienced. Of course as gsahli says, this changes if you access your bank using Windows.

This usually comes about replying to an email that looks to be a genuine bank inquiry.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi, no I don't run windows on here. And it wasn't an email, it was when I physically logged into their site. Thats why I'm thinking the problem is on their end not mine as yes, normally its an email as far as phishing goes.

C

chas_m

1. Banks are for suckers. Credit Unions FTW.

2. What web page were you on just before you went to your bank? Maybe that's the issue, but basically the odds are that they got hacked and their front page had a bad link put on it which you fell into (or you fell for a fake popup).

3. There's no such thing as a Mac OS X virus.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Banks are for suckers. Credit Unions FTW.

Another one of your rash statements? Or are you just wanting to insult everyone who uses a bank rather than a credit union?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.