iTunes -> appleTV

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know how to watch rented movies from iTunes on my Mac, through my appleTV. Do I move the movies in "rentals" to the "Movies" which shows up in my appleTV? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As far as I'm aware its not possible to do what you want unfortunately. The file has to be in iTunes so your ATV can read it.
Can you connect your Mac to your TV and watch it that way either via VGA or HDMI

Cheers

C

chas_m

Actually, the correct answer to the question depends A GREAT DEAL on finding out more about the OP's equipment. Are we talking about the black, $99 Apple TV or the older, gray one?

And what version of OS X and iTunes are you running on your computer? Once we know that, we should be able to easily answer your question. Generally, any movie you've rented from iTunes will be playable on your TV via Apple TV.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys, in answer to your question chas_m, I have the gray one, bought it about three years ago. Software to date. Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) and itunes 10.5.
I'm trying to play this through my Epson HD projector. I originally went to buy it through the itunes store on the appletv, but was referred back to my Mac to verify the account. Stupidly I decided to do the process through the Mac instead of appleTV and wasted the whole night trying to work out how to do this. The family,not amused!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.