newbie help with appleid issue please

Reaction score
why do i have to verify my established appleid email address? ios 5 has hosed up a good thing for me. had one apple id for years, then added a second for find my iphone when i bought it last march. all was well until ios 5 and now my regular id will not operate as friday it asked for verification. it says email has been verified with another appleid error. i cannot update or download any apps now. please advise.

Reaction score
I've had that same issue. I'm hoping to hear if anyone else has figured out a fix/workaround, but I can tell you what I was told with Apple customer service.
Basically, you can't merge your two accounts into one, which sux, but I think I've heard rumor that someone at Apple said, or someone asked an Apple employee if, there will be a fix for this in the future. Not sure yet.
If you have to keep your original ID and your new ID/email address, you can use both. It is just a little more annoying - but not too much.
You would need to keep both if, as in my case, most if not all of my apps were purchased with my first, original Apple ID. Then after a few years, I decided to use MobileMe. I guess without thinking, I used an email address different from my original Apple ID.
So, to keep apps history and my email account stuff (contacts, calendar, etc), I use my MobileMe (@me.com) address to sign into iCloud. Then, I sign into the App Store with my original Apple ID.
This has solved most of my issues, but now I'm having trouble with the iCloud deleting the documents on all of my synced mobile device even though I created it in iWork from one mobile device. I think there is a slight work around for that, just really sign out of all accounts everywhere possible on mobile devices and on your Mac.
Hope that helps, but I would still like to know if there is another way.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I haven't even updated to IOS 5 yet - and I was asked to verify my Apple ID last night. I finally got around to checking that e-mail just now - and I don't have a verification e-mail from Apple? I've been giving Apple quite a bit of money via this AppleID for some time... has anyone else run into this yet?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Of course - no sooner do I write this - I go try the iPad again - and it's miraculously cleared up. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I logged into the App Store and checked my account settings from the iMac - but just glad that it seems to work again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
My iPad keeps says my MobileMe ID or password is wrong in Mail, even though:

1. It is the same ID and password that I was using on the iPad before I upgraded to iOS5.

2. The same ID and password work on my iPod Touch and on the MobileMe website.

This AppleID/MobileMe ID confusion with iCloud is causing a lot of problems. Let's hope Apple sort it out soon - even if they have said they have no intention of doing so :\

Reaction score
I was having that problem as well. I can't remember if the following is what I actually did to fix it, but here it goes. Kind of like my other post above, I logged out of everything I could find on my Mac Air, including my Mac and iTunes app stores. So, open system preferences to delete the iCloud and email accounts. Also, log off of iDisk. I shut off, then turned it back on. I signed into iCloud with my email address Apple ID. I didn't sign-in with that anywhere else. I then just signed into my Mac and iTunes app stores with my old Apple ID I used to purchase everything. Then I opened Mail. It seems to be working ever since. I had some issues related to servers and smtp stuff, but I think that was due to sending a large email. But just normal email messages work fine.
Hope it helps.

OP
D
Reaction score
Had a busy weekend and did not attempt to do the updates from the app store until this am. They all went fine without asking me to verify my account. It was like old times.

I just don't get it. Why does apple or their software do this periodically?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.