LIBXML2 - multiple versions on my Mac

Reaction score
Hi

I have been using Macports to keep all my software up-to-date, but have recently had a problem where the version of libxml2 has apparently updated, but is actually showing two different versions on my Mac

I have started using a PHP framework call Symfony, which so far seems excellent, but there are certain things that require the version of libxml2 to be 2.6.21 or above.

I have tried several times through Macports to upgrade libxml2, but it tells me that the most recent version is installed.

I get the following when I check the version through Macports:

imac:~ barry$ port search libxml

libxml @1.8.17 (textproc)
XML parsing library

libxml2 @2.7.8 (textproc)
gnome xml library

However, when I use grep I get the following:

imac:/Users barry$ php -i | grep libxml
libxml Version => 2.6.16
libxml
libxml2 Version => 2.6.16

So there are obviously 2 versions of libxml2 sitting on my Mac, and the wrong one is being used. I have searched around forums, and think that the answer may lie in a Symlink, but I do not know what I am doing with this. (I need this spelling out hin simple instructions. lol)

I am using Mac OS 10.4.11 (which means I cannot install Howebrew, hence using Macports as the other alernative). I cannot upgrade my OS as my old IMac will not allow it, and I cannot afford a new one at this moment in time.

Can anybody help me so that I can get my Symfony2 project on the road?

Many thanks in advance

Barry J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.