Finder shows "iMac (2)" in sidebar

Reaction score
Hi - I've searched this forum but couldn't find a similar issue...

I noticed today that in the finder sidebar, below "Devices", by computer's name has changed from "Eamon's iMac" to "Eamon's iMac (2)"

Doesn't seem to have broken anything so far, and I was about to change the name back via System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name, but before I did I just wondered if anyone has had this happen to them and/or has any idea what might have caused it?

It's almost as if the computer thinks there is another computer on our network called Eamon's iMac (there isn't).

Any ideas?

iMac 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X 10.5.8

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've had it happen a couple of times. Never bothered me enough to find out why - just went and changed it back. If it took more than a few seconds to fix, that'd be another story.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay

Well, I've changed the name back and we'll see how it goes.

I like to know why these things happen, so I'll keep looking for an answer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I believe it's tied to the DHCP addressing on your router. If you reboot your computer and it grabs a different address than it had before, the old address may not have cleared out of the address table yet, so, to distinguish itself from the other IP record still in the table, the Mac OS throws a number after the name, giving it a unique name to avoid any conflicts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.