• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

chicago sights

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Hey everyone.

This weekend my ladyfriend and i are going to go to chicago for the heck of it, since were not going to be able to make it to Phreak Nic in nashville, (www.phreaknic.info). I was just wondering if there is anything exciting we should look at or anywhere we should go, what are some good sights to see around there, anyone have any idea's what we could do, thanks a bunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
you can see the Chicago Sears Tower.

L

lil

fearlessfreap24 said:
you can see the Chicago Sears Tower.

Definitely the Sears Tower if it's clear, the John Hancock has a better view though, the Field Museum...

Need I go on :flower:

Michigan Avenue, Grant Park...

http://www.lilserenity.com/Chicago Tour.mov

The above will disappear soon but I have many photos to share, some of which feature above.

I love Chicago, shame I live 4,500 miles away in England.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
you may be able to catch a world series game if you have that kind of money to shell out. if the sox win the game i am sure a party will break out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
If you are interested in seeing a White Sox World Series game, be prepared to pay at least $1000 USD for each ticket. :(

Make sure you eat at Ed Debevic's, visit the new Millenium Park, visit the big Apple store on Michigan Avenue, eat at Harry Caray's restaurant.

Make your hotel reservations as soon as possible if you plan on staying in a hotel, if they aren't fill yet, they will be soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
definitely walk michigan ave., visit all the museums you can (art, science and industry, field, and the shedd aquarium). make sure you have a deep dish pizza, a chicago hotdog and a gyro. navy pier is always fun. visit the sears tower, watertower place and john hancock.

have fun! i love chicago. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I live here and work in the building where lil's photos were taken.

The sights you take in depend heavily on where you're staying and how much time you have.

If you're staying downtown, take a walk along Michigan Avenue. The southerly end of your walk should start at the Museum Campus which contains the Adler Planetarium, Field Museum, and Shedd Aquarium. Those three places could fill a weekend alone.

Then walk north on Michigan Avenue, through Grant Park and Millenium Park (taking in the Cloud Gate sculpture-- also called "The Bean"), and then cut over to State Street to see Marshall Field's (before its name changes to Macy's). Then head back to Michigan Avenue and walk north across the bridge over the Chicago River to the "Magnificent Mile" which is a big shopping area that includes everything from Virgin Mega to, yes, the Apple Store, to Eddie Bauer to $350 undies at La Perla.

I always advise visitors against going to the touristy places like Ed Debevic's or Hard Rock. If you want good food downtown there are hundreds of places to choose from. Let us know your cuisine preferences and we can go from there.

You can take in the Skydeck at Sears Tower, although I agree that the view from the Hancock Center (on North Michigan Avenue) is much better.

Forget the Sox game. If this was June, I would be saying something very different. :)

I've just given you at least two weeks' worth of stuff to do. Hope this is a good start.

If you're staying in another area of the city or in the suburbs, that's a whole different story and set of recommendations.

L

lil

I'd definitely recommend Carsons - if ribs are your thing - then their ribs were the best I have ever tasted!

Which building is it you work in Caribiner?

Vicky :flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lil said:
Which building is it you work in Caribiner?

A really tall one. Tallest in the city, in fact. As a matter of fact, the tallest in North America. :)

L

lil

Oh the downtown mcDonalds then hehe. (Even though that was demolished when I went back in Feb, in fact when I went in Summer '04; I think it was its last week of being open before being redeveloped, anyway)

Only kiddin.

Dang well next time you hear a crazy brit girl talking right English slang, you come say hello to me :flower: Hehe, but what a cool place to work!

Vicky

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
wow wee,

lots of stuff to do i really love the feedback guys (and gal) sounds like this weekend is going to be lots of fun and tiring ha ha, ill be sure to try and get through all of these places.
Let us know your cuisine preferences and we can go from there.
well, I'm vegetarian so anything like that is good.

I'm kind of speechless, there is so much information here i don't really know what to say, thanks allot for the idea's and recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One of the best vegetarian places in Chicago is the Heartland Cafe at 7000 N Glenwood, but that's nowhere near downtown Chicago.

Check out this web page and do a search for vegetarian. These are restaurants that were reviewed by "real people" on one of the local PBS stations. Again, most of these restaurants are not downtown, though.

If you like Indian food (which has many vegetarian dishes) I can recommend The Klay Oven which is a short taxi ride from the Michigan Avenue area.

By the way, the first Sox game is on Saturday so if you don't have hotel reservations right now, you may be out of luck.

Let us know where in the city you're thinking of staying. This is an awfully big town...

L

lil

Only too glad to help - i love travelling so it's nice to spread a little bit of my experience with others. When I have had a fantastic time somewhere, my only wish is that not only others know but others go so they enjoy it hopefully as much as I did.

Of course, next year I plan on returning but exploring elsewhere than just the midwest, though I'll probably start in Chicago since I know it :flower:

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.