Which SSD to buy?

Reaction score
Intel 5 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 5 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

I'm confused by "SATA-3, "3G", "6G", etc. I'm looking at the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G and 6G drives, but I'm not sure which one to get. If someone could explain this to me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In this case, the 3G and 6G refer to "3 Gigabits per second" or "6 Gigabits per second". If your MacBook Pro supports SATA-3 6Gbps, then go with that model for sure. If it doesn't, then you can save yourself a few bucks by going with the 3G model. You can still use the 6Gbps model, it just won't run at its highest potential speed. Either way, it's going to be ripping fast.

OP
J
Reaction score
In this case, the 3G and 6G refer to "3 Gigabits per second" or "6 Gigabits per second". If your MacBook Pro supports SATA-3 6Gbps, then go with that model for sure. If it doesn't, then you can save yourself a few bucks by going with the 3G model. You can still use the 6Gbps model, it just won't run at its highest potential speed. Either way, it's going to be ripping fast.

Well it says that the link speed is 3 gigabits per second; that doesn't mean that it is SATA-3 6Gbps, right? It's a 2010 model, so I'm guessing no.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it says that the link speed is 3 gigabits per second; that doesn't mean that it is SATA-3 6Gbps, right? It's a 2010 model, so I'm guessing no.

That's correct - your model doesn't support 6GBps.

OP
J
Reaction score
That's correct - your model doesn't support 6GBps.

Thanks for your help! As you said, either way, it will be ripping fast! You think the OWC's are the best? I'm in South Korea, and I can't get those here; would have to order it from the States. I can get the Samsung 470 here; what do you think?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help! As you said, either way, it will be ripping fast! You think the OWC's are the best? I'm in South Korea, and I can't get those here; would have to order it from the States. I can get the Samsung 470 here; what do you think?

OWC makes a great SSD and they are popular amongst Mac users. Intel also makes an excellent SSD, but are typically more pricey. If I were in the market, it would be between these two brands and possibly OCZ.

Given Samsung's craptastic record with hard drives, I wouldn't put anything I value on a Samsung storage device of any kind.

OP
J
Reaction score
OWC makes a great SSD and they are popular amongst Mac users. Intel also makes an excellent SSD, but are typically more pricey. If I were in the market, it would be between these two brands and possibly OCZ.

Given Samsung's craptastic record with hard drives, I would put anything I value on a Samsung storage device of any kind.

I think I'll go w/ the OWC, because I have to order a Data Doubler from them anyway, for my HDD; I'll put it in the Opti-bay. Thanks again for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Given Samsung's craptastic record with hard drives, I wouldn't put anything I value on a Samsung storage device of any kind.

Maybe things will change now that Seagate has purchased the Samsung hard drive business? LINK

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe things will change now that Seagate has purchased the Samsung hard drive business? LINK

That just diminishes my impression of Seagate... :Mischievous:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Joseph I have used three SSD, an OWC 3GB/s transfer Mercury Extreme, a Kingston of the same specifications and a G.Skill Falcon. They have all ben absolutely great but to be honest I do prefer the Falcon. Seems just that little bit faster in read and write.

It is faster in boot times, with a Quad Core in a Mac Pro, boot to Lion in fifteen seconds, and Windows 7 Ultimate via Bootcamp, boots in forty five seconds and that is fast for windows.

Whichever SSD you get you will enjoy and each has a two or three year warranty period.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.