Wet macbook pro

Reaction score
I just purchased a new macbook pro that had gotten wet. It turns on and as far as I can tell everything works except for the screen. I opened it up and found that there was some dried rice inside ? it all looked fine and I can not smell anything burnt or fried there was a bit of corrosion so I took a toothbrush to it and cleaned it up can anyone tell me what to do to get this display working again ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just purchased a new macbook pro that had gotten wet. It turns on and as far as I can tell everything works except for the screen. I opened it up and found that there was some dried rice inside ? it all looked fine and I can not smell anything burnt or fried there was a bit of corrosion so I took a toothbrush to it and cleaned it up can anyone tell me what to do to get this display working again ?

A possible reason why the display is not working...is that the hardware on the logic board that sends the video signal to the display may have gotten fried when this MacBook Pro got wet. So the actual display may be fine...it's the logic board that could be bad.

If you really want to test things further...plug an external display into the MacBook Pro...and run the computer in "clamshell mode":

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

If you still get no video on the external display...then the logic board is bad.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I do not have a mini displayport cord or I would have tried that but thank you for for the info and I will try to pick one up today and check it ! How do I set clam shell mode if I cant see anything ? Sorry but I am new to mac I use a pc up until now I hope ! Also as I said I couldn't smell anything fried and everything works I put a dvd in and I could hear it playing just no video

thank you nick!

Pimp C

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How do I set clam shell mode if I cant see anything ?

Please re-read my post above.;)

Also as I said I couldn't smell anything fried ...

A "fried" electronic item like a computer will not always give off an odor.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. By the way. Did you buy this MacBook Pro new...or did you buy it from someone else? The original post above was a bit confusing on this point. No one should certainly find "rice" in a brand new computer!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.