Trimmed Leopard, won't write to USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 800 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard
I have an iMac G4, and I did this all on it.

I trimmed the OS X Leopard install DVD so it would fit on my 8GB flash drive, and I was trying to restore it to my USB drive, but I keep getting error code 2 and error code 16.

Here was my routine.

USB was formatted as HFS+J, name "Leopard USB"

OS X DVD > "leopard" on leopard.sparseimage > delete printer drivers
leopard.sparseimage > "boot" on boot.sparseimage
boot.sparseimage > "Leopard USB" on SanDisk Cruzer Media

I then get error code 2 or error code 16.

Someone told me that it is not possible to restore images to USB on PowerPC Macs because the Disk Utility on them is "broken."

So, what I'm doing now is copying boot.sparseimage to the flash drive, then on my Windows PC, loading it up on TransMac and writing it that way.

Does anyone know if that will work, or have any suggestions on how to get Disk Utility working?

Answers much appreciated, thanks! :)

EDIT: Still trying. I am currently writing boot.sparseimage with TransMac. If it doesn't work, I'm going to convert it to a DMG, and try writing as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well most G4's, and even some G5's, will not boot from USB and 'trimming' the operating system sounds more than a little risky. Tell me about the Leopard install disc. Not a silver/grey coloured disc, or two discs, I hope?

Also Leopard will not install on a machine with less than an 867MHz processor, although there are some questionable work arounds out there.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well most G4's, and even some G5's, will not boot from USB and 'trimming' the operating system sounds more than a little risky. Tell me about the Leopard install disc. Not a silver/grey coloured disc, or two discs, I hope?

Also Leopard will not install on a machine with less than an 867MHz processor, although there are some questionable work arounds out there.

I've booted the Tiger installation from this same drive before, so it will boot from USB.

I used a purple disc with a big black "X" on it.

It was not used directly in the Mac though. I ripped it to a DMG with TransMac, because the combo drive in my iMac had burned out.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've gotten the installer to boot! Converted it to DMG, copied it to my PC, and restored it to the flash drive via TransMac, did an OpenFirmware hack, and it's installing as I type this. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Install (from what I can tell, I slept through it, haha) took long but went well. The Mac OS X Leopard intro screen greeted me when I woke up, good timing, huh? I entered all my stuff into it, and it loaded up the desktop, working flawlessly, except for a small bug, when the computer wakes up from sleep, it has dots all over the screen, just a small price to pay for this magnificent OS. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.