password in imac4

Reaction score
I have had a imac/SG945AT2G42 donated to the Boys and Girls Club that I work at in Maryland. The person who donated the imac did not leave the operating disc or any information to contact them. I would like to get this updated and when I went to update it has a password. What I am looking for is a way to either get the os disc or a way to bypass the password. We have a new Imac flat screen that was donated las t year and I would like to show the children how the mac has evolved over the years. Thanks for any help in this matter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well it depends on what sort of protection has been set up. Normal administrator password can be got around by using an install disc by this:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274

Depending on the model, Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion would be a good system install.

If firmware password protection has been set up, big problems alas:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

OP
W
Reaction score
I dont have the install disk it looks like same password for admin and user. Thanks Tim how can I get an install disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on what operating system you want to buy. Snow Leopard will only install on Intel machines, Lion on Core 2 Duo, and Leopard on machines, including G4 and G5's with an 867MHz processor or faster. Apple sells Lion and Snow Leopard on Lion, Leopard will be a search of auction sites such as eBay.

If you go this way make sure you purchase a full retail install DVD which is black coloured, and not a silver/grey disc which are extremely model specific. If the machine boots, go into 'About this Mac' under the Apple icon in the menu bar and it will say OS X and then the version number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.