How to remove question mark icon in Finder toolbar?

Reaction score
By mistake I dragged a mkv file onto the finder window toolbar. It created a mkv icon. I have since deleted the file totally and it is now a question mark icon.

How can I remove the icon, or any dragged file icon, from the finder toolbar?

I right-click on the icon and it brings up the menu to select how I want the toolbar to display, icon-text, icon only, etc.

Tried dragging the icon to trash but when I click on it I get the item not found message.

Thanks for reading my post.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry for the trivial post. Found the answer...command + drag the icon to trash, gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You're not the first one with this question. You might be the first one to answer it yourself however. This thread might help someone else you know.

Reaction score
I can't believe it was so simple...

Thank you for both asking and answering this question. I have had a question mark stuck in my finder toolbar for months and I can't believe it was so simple to just delete it. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Question Marks in Finder

Thanks for posting, dvdchance. I was sick of looking at the question marks in my finder. I found that you do not have to drag them into the trash...just hold the command key and drag them out of the finder and they "evaporate".

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That trick also works with items in the sidebar AFAIK. It happened to me when I accidentally dropped a file into the sidebar.

Reaction score
Thank you so much - their was nothing trivial about that post. It helped me, and many other people out their too :)

Reaction score
Still vital info

Thank you. I can't believe I've just left multiple "?'s" liter my finder tool bar for years. Still vital info in 2013 -and a reminder of just how simple and friendly the Mac environment can be -if a bit subtle.:Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thank you. I can't believe I've just left multiple "?'s" liter my finder tool bar for years. Still vital info in 2013 -and a reminder of just how simple and friendly the Mac environment can be -if a bit subtle.:Blushing:

Subtle, yes. This forum is the Owner's Manual. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Subtle, yes. This forum is the Owner's Manual. ;)

Wondeer if the gang at Cupertino would let us use that as a tag line for the forum?:Cool: Somehow I doubt it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.8
Question marks

Sorry for the trivial post. Found the answer...command + drag the icon to trash, gone.

Well having embarrassed myself by posting a trivial issue I find your answer (and question)! Thanks all sorted. I will be more careful and read the FAQ before my next foray.

Reaction score
? mark in finder toolbar

Thank you for both asking and answering this question. I have had a question mark stuck in my finder toolbar for months and I can't believe it was so simple to just delete it. Thanks again.

Thank you for the answer to this problems, I have been trying to get rid of this ? all day. Now it has gone. Thank you very much everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.