iPad2/4S + Apple TV = video/gaming/htpc WIN!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I pulled the trigger on the Apple TV last night. I'm really happy I did and happy I never spent a lot of money on a HTPC. Wireless mirroring is amazing! Basically any video app I have on my iPad/iPhone can be wirelessly streamed to my TV through the Apple TV, including ABC, PBS, Crackle, and Hulu Plus!! :D :D :D

There's a little stutter every once in a while, but it's not bad at all. Same with games. I tried a few games including some racing games, and overall they worked very well with very little lag, which I didn't find to be a big issue.

Another big bonus is that if there's something online you can't get through your iPad or you have something on your computer back at your desk you want to check out like a download status, you can use an app like Splashtop or LogMeIn Ignition to put your computer's desktop right on your TV. Some people have even said using video sites like free Hulu works well, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Overall I'm extremely happy about my Apple TV purchase and it will come in very handy. This is definitely a killer feature on par with, if not better than, Siri that Apple really missed by not talking it up more. The only reason I can imagine they didn't is because the content providers may throw a fit when they find out how easy of a workaround it is to get their web-based content onto TVs (which we all know they hate for some reason) and Apple wants to keep it a sleeper feature at least for those in the know.

Anyone else find some other great ways of using your iPhone/iPad and Apple TV?

Reaction score
that's great, but I've noticed that sound doesn't seem to work. I have both the 4s and iPad 2, as well as the newest apple tv. I want to be able to face time using it, but when mirroring, the sound just doesn't come through either the tv or the iPad/iphone.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Is it just with Face Time or with all apps? I haven't noticed any sound issues with mine. I'm also using the optical audio out to my receiver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.