Upgrading iMac G5 (iSight) from 10.4 to 10.5

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've recently come into the possession of an iMac G5 (iSight model) from 2005/6 I believe. Here are some of the specs (please do ask if, in order to help you need more):

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac12,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2.1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 700 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.6f1

While I've been quite happy with it on 10.4, I've noticed that an increasing number of software downloads are for 10.5, and so I wondered if anyone could tell me exactly how difficult it would be for me to upgrade the computer to a smooth, fast version of Leopard 10.5?

Thanks,
Hal

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
While I've been quite happy with it on 10.4, I've noticed that an increasing number of software downloads are for 10.5, and so I wondered if anyone could tell me exactly how difficult it would be for me to upgrade the computer to a smooth, fast version of Leopard 10.5?

No real problems at all...except purchasing a Leopard install disk (e-Bay, $100, black disks not gray/silver).

This iMac G5 also has the minimum ram for Leopard at 512meg. I would upgrade the ram. The max ram for this iMac G5 is 2.5GB.

Good luck,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I personally love that machine. Used it for over 6 years. Mine had some of the defective Capacitors that were circulating around and it finally died. Going to change out the caps and fix it, but in the mean time using a newer Intel iMac.

10.5.8 Works GREAT on it. BUT.... you need to put in more RAM. If you really only have 512Megs, there is panel that comes off on the bottom. The slot should be empty and takes one PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM Dimm. I put in a 2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM for 2.5 GB RAM but even a 1GB stick will be fine with Leopard.

The main issue is finding 10.5 Retail that you will need for a low price. Check Ebay but you are looking at probably $100 or more unless you get lucky. Leopard 10.5 runs great with 1.5GB RAM on that machine! The Retail DVD is Black. Do not get a Gray DVD that came with another Mac as it will not even install.

If you need any more help, just ask.

I miss my iMac G5 iSight. Was a wonderful machine.

What did you pay used for it?

OP
H
Reaction score
Wow thanks guys, thats all really good advice! I'll also definitely consider upgrading the RAM - are they particularly expensive? About the install disc, my parents also have an iMac, but a slightly newer one that runs 10.5, and that came with some kind of install disc; would this install disk be usable in my situation?
But thanks I shall - about how much I paid for it, we got it new actually, it's just that recently we have a bought a new TV and so the EyeTV program we used for television is no longer needed for living room use, and so now belongs to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512
You can get memory from memoryx.com pretty easily and it's affordable. What does their disk look like? If it's not a black disk with a big X on it, then no. Is it a grey disk? For installing the RAM, ifixit.com has really good guides.

Below are pictures of a retail disk and an OEM disk. For yours, you'd need the specific OEM disk for your specific make/model of iMac, retail ones work on any mac.

installdvd.png

224imac_cds.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
shanlon is correct. You can not use the Gray DVD's that come with another Mac. If your parents iMac is newer than your iMac G5, then it's an Intel Mac so for sure the DVD will not work.

shanlon provided you with a good pic of what the Retail DVD looks like.

OP
H
Reaction score
Oh OK I see, well I'm not sure exactly, I\ll take a look as soon as I can and get back to you guys. But thanks for the help, its all been very useful indeed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512
So what disk do they have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.