Please Tell Me If I Am Screwed

Reaction score
Here's the deal, I wanted the new Iphone update. I haven't used Itunes since I reformatted my computer months ago. I re-installed Itunes, plugged my phone in to sync and get update. Now everything, including contacts, apps, etc. all gone.

Am I screwed or is there a way I can recover them?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know of no way once that happens but someone else might. You say you never backed it up for a long time. If you had, there would be a backup of everything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When I plug in my iPhone or iPad here Backup is the first thing it does. Let me see what I can find. I have never lost files before so never messed with it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Any sort of help would be awesome. remember I reformatted, then had to re-dl iTunes, then re-synced and everything go wiped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If you reformatted and installed a fresh copy yet did not do a backup directly after, then there would be nothing to do a restore from. Not good.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
AKA, I'm screwed? I thought before updates, Iphone's auto-backed up files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
AKA, I'm screwed? I thought before updates, Iphone's auto-backed up files.

It does. It also makes a fresher backup once you install everything back onto it after the update.

Try this:

Open iTunes.
Go into Preferences.
Go into the Devices tab.
See what the recent iPhone backups were.

OP
S
Reaction score
It has one file, today . . . . 22 minutes ago, long after this problem occurred.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
It doesn't look good. I don't know of any other way to get ur date than what's been said above. But if you go to app store and the update tab on the bottom right and then choose pirchased you will see everything you have paid for (assuming you have the same iTunes email logged in that's made any purchases. The same goes for songs bought via iTunes. But idk if there is a purchased tab in the iPhone app. As for your contacts and music there really isn't a good outcome unless you have the music on an external HD and the contacts are almost certainly going to have to be put in manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
If you had no time machine backup or any kind of backup (even a 2nd machine you synced to), then everything before your wipe is/was lost. I don't think that anything can be recovered after a wipe or mistaken delete without it costing money and even then I would think that might be iffy...

good luck ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.