Which apps can I safely uninstall?

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been searching around for some time now for answers but have not found any. I was wondering what Applications I could safely uninstall that are included in my OS Leopard system install. I received my mac in summer of 2008 and have not updated the operating system as of yet. I was wondering, to free up space, what apps I could uninstall. It for some reason bothers me that they are there if I don't use them.

I guess more specifically, are there any Applications that I could uninstall and potentially mess up my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whatever you do not use. If you try to remove anything used by the Operating System, you will be advised. If you use Firefox exclusively you could remove Safari, etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Better yet, tell us what Apps you do not use or need and we can tell you if it's ok to delete them.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^ What he said.

There are very few of the apps that ship that take up all that much room - Garageband being the biggest offender - if you don't use that one, yep, you can delete it. For sure - Don't touch anything in the Utilities folder.

However, if your drive is getting full to the point of needing to be concerned about deleting apps that shipped with the OS in order to free up space, imho, you've got bigger problems and it's time for a new larger drive.

C

chas_m

Personally I'd suggest an attitude adjustment about apps that you don't use rather than monkeying around with stuff you don't understand and risking catastrophic data loss. Apps don't take up a lot of room as a rule, so this is really not a productive area of your time and energy on the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.