powermac g4 (agp) upgrade questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15", iphone 2, 4, powerbook G4 12", powermac G4 (agp graphics)
hi. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of internal hard drive I needed to upgrade a powermac G4 (agp graphics) that was given to me (max GB, Ultra ATA/100 7200 rpm, 8 mb cache, etc...)? Any brand recommendations (Seagate, WD, etc.)? Or if anyone can just give me the whole info on how to best upgrade it to its maximum? that would be great. I did read some info on the mac site but I couldn't find anything on the HD requirements? thank you...

Reaction score
upgrade

MAC1av3lli said:
hi. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of internal hard drive I needed to upgrade a powermac G4 (agp graphics) that was given to me (max GB, Ultra ATA/100 7200 rpm, 8 mb cache, etc...)? Any brand recommendations (Seagate, WD, etc.)? Or if anyone can just give me the whole info on how to best upgrade it to its maximum? that would be great. I did read some info on the mac site but I couldn't find anything on the HD requirements? thank you...
I upgraded mine with 2 80gig western digital ata HDD and with help from this site cloned my HDD form my 30 gig and am working fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks. but what was that site? so does a 160 GB with 7200 rpm and 8 mb cache matter?

I've never owned a mac desktop and wanted to upgrade this one. should I even bother? I hear people are still using their G3s so...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
He meant this site (i.e. Mac-forums). I think that any IDE drive would work in your machine. All ATA devices are supposed to be backwards compatible and the ATA controller on your mother board should be as well. If you want advice on what specific drives work well with your computer check out the database at www.xlr8yourmac.com. Drives that are SCSI or SATA will not work without an expansion card. Bigger (i.e. GB) faster (i.e. RPMs) drives are better. If there is a size limit on the G4 AGPs I am pretty sure it is more than 250 GB.

Good Luck

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oops, didn't read that right....thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.