Making Downloads Folder overwrite existing files instead of replacing them

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to change the settings of the downloads folder to overwrite files of the same name. For instance, if a file named "filedownload" is downloaded and I happened to download it a second time, instead of saving it as "filedownload-1", i would like to just replace it.

I remember seeing that option with snowleopard but I can't remember exactly where it was. I'm trying to do it with Lion now.

Please help. Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to change the settings of the downloads folder to overwrite files of the same name. For instance, if a file named "filedownload" is downloaded and I happened to download it a second time, instead of saving it as "filedownload-1", i would like to just replace it.

I remember seeing that option with snowleopard but I can't remember exactly where it was. I'm trying to do it with Lion now.

Please help. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. Only post to one forum and reply to the same thread. Your cross post has been deleted and the two posts merged here.

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry about that. the reason why i did that was because I wasn't sure if I had posted the earlier message in the wrong forum as I am yet to get a reply.

Reaction score
Not sure about an option like that, but the title for your thread here is quite confusing.

"overwrite instead of replace"

Wouldn't that work out to exactly the same? Overwriting or replacing a file...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, I get the post, but the title doesn't compute. There's no option to do what the OP is requesting that I am aware of either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.