PAGES for MAC and PAGES for iOS How does this work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 imac
So If you purchase PAGES via the app store , for say your iMac.
1. does it synch via iCloud with all your macs, and iPods, and phones, like the iOS PAGES app?
2. do you need to also purchase the iOS version in order to edit and view act.. via iCloud?
3. is anyone working with this and how do you like it?

Reaction score
I'm trying to use Pages. I can't figure out how it syncs, because when you open Pages on the Mac, it opens a new document...so I don't know where the documents I created on my iPhone are. I like Pages in general, but can't figure out the iCloud part.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You have to sign into iCloud and then go to the iWork page. Click on the Pages tab and in the right of the screen should see a (settings wheel if I remeber right) click on it and you get a pull down menu to upload documents.
They will synch from there to your IOS devices if they have Pages and you have enabled iCloud.

Reaction score
Okay. That makes sense. It isn't as convenient as I had hoped, but at least it works. I had hoped you could just open Pages on your computer and have the documents available there, or have iCloud sync with the Documents folder (or be able to specify a folder on your computer that has the files you need to keep synced, like Dropbox). I hope Apple has plans to make this easier. MobileMe wasn't perfect, but at least that part worked. Thanks for the reply.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. That makes sense. It isn't as convenient as I had hoped, but at least it works. I had hoped you could just open Pages on your computer and have the documents available there, or have iCloud sync with the Documents folder (or be able to specify a folder on your computer that has the files you need to keep synced, like Dropbox). I hope Apple has plans to make this easier. MobileMe wasn't perfect, but at least that part worked. Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome. I'm hoping future upgrades will take the extra steps out of the process.

EDIT: BTW if you try to upload an older version Pages document it won't work. You will have to open it in Pages 9 and then save it to the new format for cloud sync to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
You have to sign into iCloud and then go to the iWork page. Click on the Pages tab and in the right of the screen should see a (settings wheel if I remeber right) click on it and you get a pull down menu to upload documents.
They will synch from there to your IOS devices if they have Pages and you have enabled iCloud.

Very Helpful thanks, i hadn't seen that procedure explained so simply before, thanks.

I am confused by the fact that the same document(s) are at my iWork.com pages ?. why have both ?

tim

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That works for Docs or Spreadsheets from the OSX end but not the IOS end here. Anyone know how to get Pages or Numbers files from the iPad to iCloud? That is the part so far that has me stumped and I don't get stumped all that often! :D Grin

Figured it out. You have to make the DOC or Spreadsheet in Pages or Numbers in IOS then it will upload automatically to the iCloud. Tried it. Also tried editing an existing document and the changes were on the iCloud copy in 5 seconds or less. Impressive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iWork for the Mac is probably due for an upgrade at some point, so I would imagine they might add real iCloud syncing at some point...

OP
Maxtcc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 imac
So If you purchase PAGES via the app store , for say your iMac.
1. does it synch via iCloud with all your macs, and iPods, and phones, like the iOS PAGES app?
2. do you need to also purchase the iOS version in order to edit and view act.. via iCloud?
3. is anyone working with this and how do you like it?

So , Can anyone answer these three questions for me?
I would like to get pages, but I am unsure how iOS and Mac app will interact. If I need to purchase both or one or the other.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
1) No
2) Yes & no
3) Love it

Pages on the Mac can upload to your iCloud account and from there you can view files on the web. However it doesn't automatically sync documents down from iCloud, you you'll need to visit iCloud.com and download them manually if you've edited or created docs on your iOS devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I also have a question myself about Pages for Mac and iPhone syncing. I have some private documents that I don't want synced through iCloud. I would prefer to manually sync through iTunes. Does anyone know if this is possible?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also have a question myself about Pages for Mac and iPhone syncing. I have some private documents that I don't want synced through iCloud. I would prefer to manually sync through iTunes. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Good question. I checked iTunes and see no way to do that. I had used Dropbox for my docs and spreadsheets before iCloud. I share your concern for private documents with say my banking info in them. So far I have found no other way.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question. I checked iTunes and see no way to do that. I had used Dropbox for my docs and spreadsheets before iCloud. I share your concern for private documents with say my banking info in them. So far I have found no other way.

In Pages IOS when you start a new document one of the choices is to copy from iTunes, but I have no idea how to actually do that.

EDIT: I'm curious now so I may play with this and see if I can figure it out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Pages IOS when you start a new document one of the choices is to copy from iTunes, but I have no idea how to actually do that.

Saw that but I see no way in iTunes itself to get Documents into it! :D Going to check Pages and Numbers in OSX later.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK
I've got a doc into iTunes after sync finishes will see if it is available to Pages. Will post back results.

EDIT: That worked!
1) I went to Pages on my MBP and selected a file and saved it in the latest format.
2) Then connected my iPad and on the APPs Tab scrolled down to Pages (lower panel) and selected ADD from the file sync panel
3) Browsed to file and selected it and it appeared in the file sync panel
4) After sync was complete, I opened Pages on my iPad, hit + button to create file and selected copy from iTunes.
5) My file was there, selected it and it opened in Pages IOS

:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Razor, thanks. I was doing everything but hitting the + in Pages to create a new Doc and selecting iTunes. Works even with a text file! Very cool. I just expected it to be there after the Sync! :D Grin

Rep to you Sir.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Razor, thanks. I was doing everything but hitting the + in Pages to create a new Doc and selecting iTunes. Works even with a text file! Very cool. I just expected it to be there after the Sync! :D Grin

Rep to you Sir.

Thanks. :)

OP
Maxtcc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 imac
1) No
2) Yes & no
3) Love it

Pages on the Mac can upload to your iCloud account and from there you can view files on the web. However it doesn't automatically sync documents down from iCloud, you you'll need to visit iCloud.com and download them manually if you've edited or created docs on your iOS devices.

Thank you for your concise answers.
I guess I wil then simply go with the Mac app as I really have no need to edit on the run, I was only interested in the viewing of them.

ta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK
I've got a doc into iTunes after sync finishes will see if it is available to Pages. Will post back results.

EDIT: That worked!
1) I went to Pages on my MBP and selected a file and saved it in the latest format.
2) Then connected my iPad and on the APPs Tab scrolled down to Pages (lower panel) and selected ADD from the file sync panel
3) Browsed to file and selected it and it appeared in the file sync panel
4) After sync was complete, I opened Pages on my iPad, hit + button to create file and selected copy from iTunes.
5) My file was there, selected it and it opened in Pages IOS

:)
Thank you very much for doing that. I also gave you some rep. :D Does this also mean that any changes made on the iPhone will be updated to the desktop and vice versa when you sync it through iTunes? I don't want to merely have a separate file on my iPhone.

If yes this means buying both Pages for desktop and iPhone will be worth it for me. I want to do my work outside of my house but I hate having multiple different versions of a file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For anyone who wants to know, I figure out how to copy files back and forth between the iPhone and Mac computer without using iCloud. A normal sync in iTunes doesn't automatically update my Pages documents changes. I have to manually do it myself.

Using Razormac's method I got my file onto my iPhone but to copy all the new changes I've made to the file on my iPhone back to my laptop I had to click on the wrench icon, select Share and Print, and then send to iTunes when connected.

It's not as convenient as a using the sync button in iTunes but it works. I'm also liking Pages too. It's a good word processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.