Creating a bootable Lion thumbdrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Hi,

Being a new iMac, my Mac shipped with Lion preinstalled and without a hard copy in the box.

I wish to create a copy of Lion OS just in case my HDD falls over and I can't access the recovery partition on the drive. I tried to follow the links in the Lion FAQ sticky at the top of this forum, for creating a Lion DVD/thumbdrive, but the links no longer work.

Every search result on google, talks about creating a copy from the Appstore download, but being a new machine I didn't download if from the Appstore.

Anybody know how, or can point me in the right direction to create a bootable copy of Lion if it all goes Pete Tong. OR if the hard drive does implode, is the recovery partition still accessible?

Many thanks.

OP
Chuckoir
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brilliant, thank you!

I'll check that out tomorrow when I can get on to the Mac.

Thanks again!

OP
Chuckoir
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what Apple says, from the link lbaston posted...

The Lion Recovery Disk Assistant lets you create Lion Recovery on an external drive that has all of the same capabilities as the built-in Lion Recovery: reinstall Lion, repair the disk using Disk Utility, restore from a Time Machine backup, or browse the web with Safari. This drive can be used in the event you cannot start your computer with the built-in Recovery HD, or you have replaced the hard drive with a new one that does not have Mac OS X installed.

Forgive me, but are you saying then, that I wouldn't be able to install Lion from this? If I do have to download it, will I have to pay for it? Or will it be just like redownloading an App you've previously purchased, as it came preinstalled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will be able to do an install from the external drive with Recovery when connected to the 'net. It will be like downloading Lion you had purchased it. Am told it is not possible to download Lion as it came on your machine installed. For the rest of us we can go into App Store, hold Option and hit purchases and download again f.o.c.

OP
Chuckoir
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh okay, gotcha. Thank you for clearing that up. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.