Power mac G5 wireless

Reaction score
please help.. im at my wits end with this..

right....

i have a powermac G5 which i love but when i bought it off a friend it had no wireless capability.. after far too much time looking around and being sent all over the place by apple and threads on forums i finally find out i have to buy an airport extreme card.. which i have done.. now the mac starts up fine no problems at all.. but when ive installed the card and plugged in the antenna that was hanging next to the card slot (i presume thats what its for) i press the power button and the power comes on but no picture on my monitor.. almost like its creating a circuit or something and knocking out the monitor.. then after a while the fan starts going quicker then i get worried and switch it off... take the card out and it works perfectly once again..

please please please can someone shed some light on this problem..

thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Did you accidentally bump anything while you were inside installing the Airport card? Maybe something got dislodged.

Also...did you reinstall everything properly that you needed to remove to get access to do this install? Think carefully;)...I know I've forgotten things sometimes.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
ive just removed the card and started the machine again.. i got the normal apple *bong* sound then the apple logo on screen etc.. powered down then installed the card again and powered up.. with no *bong* or apple logo.. head stratcher indeed.. i was very carefull when installing and removing ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ive just removed the card and started the machine again.. i got the normal apple *bong* sound then the apple logo on screen etc.. powered down then installed the card again and powered up.. with no *bong* or apple logo.. head stratcher indeed.. i was very carefull when installing and removing ...

Ok...great troubleshooting.:)

So I'm thinking two possibilities:

- Do you have the correct Airport Card?
- Or maybe this Airport card is "dead"!:(

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
i purchased the card from macupgrades.co.uk it was classed as 'refurbished' but said tested as working.. speaking to apple and reading up on all sorts of sites even wikipedia it gave options for whatever g5 i had dual core or not.. mine being the 'not' variety.. but it also listed the same aiport extreme card for both.. so presumed i was on to a winner..

i just dont know what else to do.. its taken me months to get this far.. do u think its worth making an appointment with a geek instore and lugging this lump of metal in there? i dont think i could handle the disappointment of them tellin me there's nothing that can be done... haha

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i purchased the card from macupgrades.co.uk it was classed as 'refurbished' but said tested as working.. speaking to apple and reading up on all sorts of sites even wikipedia it gave options for whatever g5 i had dual core or not.. mine being the 'not' variety.. but it also listed the same aiport extreme card for both.. so presumed i was on to a winner..

Need to know the exact model Powermac G5 you have. The Airport cards on these things can be confusing. Can you post a picture of the card...or provide a link to the place you bought it from (with a photo)?

But if the card is no good...we would just be wasting our time trying to troubleshoot the problem. But first we should be sure you have the correct card.

i just dont know what else to do.. its taken me months to get this far.. do u think its worth making an appointment with a geek instore and lugging this lump of metal in there?

My personal opinion is this would be a waste of time. Whenever I go to my local Apple Store...if you walk in with anything older than a couple years old...they just look at you funny and say..." What the heck is that??";)

But maybe you have better folks at your Apple Store!:) Of course if you have to start paying someone to look into this...considering the value of this G5...you don't want to spend too much.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats the product i bought.. if u go back to the websites main page then go to G5 section it gives the same airport card for both variations..

Thanks for the link with photo.

My question is...were you actually successful in COMPLETELY installing this card?:

315-img-main.jpg

Two things need to be done:

1. The "pins" on the right side (in the photo) need to be completely inserted into a slot on the logic board.
2. The airport antenna wire needs to be plugged into the card.

If you were successful in completing both steps...then I would say that the card is bad.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick states, depends on what model 2005 G5 you have. The early model uses a different card to the Late 2005, which are Dual Core models. A Dual Core requires an Airport/Bluetooth combo card which also requires a 'stand off' card and two lots of mounting rivets and screws.

You can see how important it is to get the correct model identification.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.