PC Games on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of Mac. I've just order an iPod and a powerbook about 10 minutes ago. Which is the 1st Mac that I've had. I've had tonnes of PC's in the past and I've accumulated quite a large selection of PC games. I was wondering if there is anyway to get them to work on my new Powerbook? Games like "Sim City 4," "The Sims + a few expansion packs" and "C&C Tiberian Sun." You'll probably already know that Sim City and the Sims are out for the Mac but Tiberian Sun isn't. Donno if this is an issue or not. I really don't want to have to re-buy all the games again as I think that Apple has just taken enough of my money for a while yet.

Thanks for your time
Drew

B

badmojo

You may have to buy MS Virtual PC, but the games would likely run pretty poorly on it since it's emulated.

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

DONT GET VPC it wont play games well. VPC cost 100+$ so you could get C&C generals +zero hour which is tons better than C&C TS, you could also get the Sims 2 and still have money left over for another game if you dont get VPC. from using VPC the dam thing lags like **** from just using the internet on it.

btw TS is like what 8 years old? we now have C&C generals+zero hour which will own TS.

Reaction score
hojkoff_101 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of Mac. I've just order an iPod and a powerbook about 10 minutes ago. Which is the 1st Mac that I've had. I've had tonnes of PC's in the past and I've accumulated quite a large selection of PC games. I was wondering if there is anyway to get them to work on my new Powerbook? Games like "Sim City 4," "The Sims + a few expansion packs" and "C&C Tiberian Sun." You'll probably already know that Sim City and the Sims are out for the Mac but Tiberian Sun isn't. Donno if this is an issue or not. I really don't want to have to re-buy all the games again as I think that Apple has just taken enough of my money for a while yet.

Thanks for your time
Drew

At this time i would not recommend using an emulator, you more than likely won't like the results on a game. Perhaps after Apple gets their Intel machines on the market pc games might work...mabe... but on the whole, keep a pc game to do games with, and use the Mac for productivity stuff.

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Hmmmm donno. I haven’t played the new C&C but it doesn't look all that good. The viewpoint for a start looks awful. Tiberian Sun is a classic now! It's great. It's basic but at the same time very complex. I have never played anything that requires so much tactics and though before. I find all other strategy games are either one sided, (to one army) to fast, don't have enough options (regards units to build), and just not all that realistic.

TS takes just enough time to make you satisfied but not to long to make you board. It's to the point. Each unit has been thought about so intensely to make it work just perfectly on the board. The AI is not to easy but not to hard (although you can make it nails if you want.) Tiberian Sun is the peak of all things strategy! Even the way the camera looks onto the board is perfect. The developers haven't focused on graphics but they are good enough to not put you off, which is good because in the end game playability is all that really matters.

Red alert 2 came out just after TS and it sucked! It even looks like a cartoon. What’s cartoony about war!? It was to fast and it was too easy to gain money.

It's lead me to believe that the new C&C for the Mac is probably not all that good. I would like to play it but TS has built up my expectations for all strategy games that I've just not been able to appreciate anything since.

I really don't mind about having to re-buy all the games that are available for the Mac again. But I really want to play TS on it. I have a Powerbook after all and TS is perfect for it!

Any ideas? Is there a patch out there for this one game that was designed for the PC to make it work on the Mac?

Also Starcraft (yes another old one I love) not as good as TS but none the less pretty good has a Mac version. It’s a really old game so will it work on my brand new top of the range Mac?

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
When are these new Intel models to come out? Can I upgrade my G4 to an Intel at a reasonable cost? I am a student.

L

lil

hojkoff_101 said:
When are these new Intel models to come out? Can I upgrade my G4 to an Intel at a reasonable cost? I am a student.

Please use the search function for that question. There are probably hundreds of posts asking the same thing, and most have excellent answers.

The likelihood is no upgrade will be available. Especially on a laptop.

Vicky

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
**** **** it. Time for an insurance claim i think.

L

lil

hojkoff_101 said:
**** **** it. Time for an insurance claim i think.

That's right as soon as Intel Macs come along yours will stop working.

Don't be so rash, yours will still be working then, and doing an insurance job, well gee thanks for being one of those who pushes up the prices for those who actually pay the premiums and don't have to scam the system.

And yes I just finished uni, I know it can be tight, but my reward came when I I finished uni being able to afford a new PowerBook, I'd have considered myself very fortunate if I had a PowerBook like this (or the one you will have 'stolen') during Uni.

Vicky

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Dude chill out. The chances of me actually making a fake insurance claim are slim and none.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.