UNlocking iOS5 for the Iphone 4

Reaction score
Has anyone figured this out yet? Youtube is full of good info on jailbreaking it with RedSn0w...and if I google it, I get a bunch of slick websites claiming to do it for $20-$30 but I question their authenticity.

I do need it unlocked. Who knows what ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Just to clarify are you wanting to unlock or jailbreak?

- Simon

Reaction score
I was able to preserve my baseband to update to iOS 5 but I can not get the gevey sim with t-mobile to work any suggestion?

I am running baseband 0.4.10.01

The gevey sim is the ultra pro but the cydia app furious mod is not working

C

chas_m

At present I do not know of any way to to unlock the iPhone running iOS 5, and frankly an untethered jailbreak is too much of a PITA to bother with (IMO). My only suggestion is to wait and hope that someone develops an untethered jailbreak and subsequent unlocking procedure.

Failing that, you could just check with your carrier to see if they will unlock the iPhone 4 you. Most "locked" iPhone 4s are only "carrier-locked" since Apple actually sells them UNlocked in the first place, so after a period of time many carriers (not AT&T but most others) will unlock the iPhone 4 for you if you've been with them for a while.

Reaction score
Jailbreaking lets you install applications that are not approved by Apple. Many of these applications can be very helpful but they will unfortunately never make it to the App Store due to Apple’s restrictions. You can also used "cracked" versions of many App Store apps, essentially making them free.

The main reason to unlock your iPhone is if you want to use it with a different service provider (ie T-Mobile). An unlocked iPhone also has a better resell value.

Taken with some modification from here --> The Difference Between Jailbreaking and Unlocking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Right i've done a lot of research about unlocking ios5 and here are the facts...

1: You can unlock ios4 no problem
2: You can jailbreak ios5 no problem
3: You can only unlock io5 if you don't update to ios5 via the standard iTunes update and instead upgrade using a patched ios5 that preserves the baseband. If you update via standard iTunes update then the baseband will be updated and there is no downgrade for the baseband as of yet, so once it has been updated normally there is no going back and no chance of unlocking until ultrasn0w or another app is updated to include the newest baseband.

Hope this makes sense

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.