2011 iMac or wait for 2012 iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
I'm looking to make the jump from PC to Mac for the holidays and was just seeing if it was worth waiting an extra month or to go all in now.

I know that what is being offered currently is more than enough for my needs but it's always nice to have the most recent equipment.

It looks like the 2011 imacs were released in May so if it's a 1 year life cycle then the 2012's are still a while away.

For what it's worth, I was looking to get this iMac:

21.5-inch: 2.7GHz

2.7GHz Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
ATI Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

Should I wait or go ahead and buy the current one. It sounds to me like the 2012 iMacs are at least 6 months away from coming out.

Also would anyone recommend a bump in RAM from the specs above?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I think you've answered your own question quite well. Of course, no one knows Apple's product release cycle but based on past performance - it'll be a while - and besides - I don't expect any improvements of great significance over the 2011 versions.

Yes - bump the RAM but don't order your iMac that way - get your RAM from an aftermarket vendor - much cheaper that way.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize it was that easy to bump up the RAM. I thought it was a little expensive but good to know I can order it aftermarket....that's the way I'll go.

I heard rumors of a touchscreen and other things but it's all rumors.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go with that model then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.