New girl here...

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm Krispy (no it's not my real name), I'm from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I have an issue concerning an update my iMac installed a day or so ago. (I have OS X & I don't know which animal it's named after.) After the update, the safari icon was missing from my dock. I've read elsewhere that this happens alot. This is my first Mac computer, so using my Windows knowledge (lol), I tried to c&p the safari icon to my dock and use it to access the internet and it worked, but now it has another icon on my desktop. If I delete the desktop icon, the dock icon won't work. The real icon is still in the Applications folder or whereever it's at. That's where I originally copied it from. I don't understand why I can't CUT instead of copy. I end up with many files of the same thing because I'm afraid to delete and IT not work.

I just now downloaded and installed Google Chrome. I much prefer that browser anyway over all of them.

I think I need an Apple for Dummies book. There's so much I don't know but want to!

Thanks for any input!
Krispy

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
the dock is just a collection of aliases (or shortcuts, if you want to go all windowy on it). you dont need to cut and paste onto it, just drag the safari app from user/applications onto your dock and your done.

forget cut. you don't need it. just drag it and hold command.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I felt the same way coming from a PC to Mac. I just had to learn not to right click and selecting Cut (Ctrl+X) all the time on a Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
the dock is just a collection of aliases (or shortcuts, if you want to go all windowy on it). you dont need to cut and paste onto it, just drag the safari app from user/applications onto your dock and your done.

Thanks for posting that Rob. So many still do not know about Command and Drag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Simple. Finder does not support that.

Not totally accurate. Starting with Lion, Finder does support cut. Same ol' CMD+C but then alt+cmd+v to paste and it won't leave a copy at the source location. Technically, it's more of "select" and paste rather than cut because the source file doesn't get moved anywhere such as on a clip board when you press the initial cmd+c.

Doug

For the record, I'm of the opinion that holding cmd while dragging is a lot less efficient and more sloppy than simply doing a keyboard shortcut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Starting with Lion, Finder does support cut. Same ol' CMD+C but then alt+cmd+v to paste and it won't leave a copy at the source location. Technically, it's more of "select" and paste rather than cut because the source file doesn't get moved anywhere such as on a clip board when you press the initial cmd+c.

Good to know, if I ever upgrade to Lion.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have another question. I just installed the IO5 update to my iPhone. It backed everything up, but then all my apps are gone. It told me it would do that if I chose to update, but WHY does it back it all up if it won't put it back on? I still have photos & music, though.

OP
K
Reaction score
Nevermind!

I'm such a retard sometimes. I found it. Duhhhhh...I do have a brain that I use...sometimes. :D

OP
K
Reaction score

Hey I tried this and it worked. Thanks for the info!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There is an alternate method that is especially helpful if a program is already running an you realize you want to keep it in the Dock. Launch the program as usual. Once it's launched right click its icon and look at the "Options" choice. One will say "Keep in Dock".

BTW One Louisianian to another you're Tigers could have gone a little easier on the Demons when they met earlier this year. :Mischievous:

OP
K
Reaction score
I do learn & I consider myself very adaptable but there's some things I'm just not familiar with.
As for the Tigers...well, I'm not a big football fan so all I have to say is,"Okay. Sorry." LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.