SD card files getting deleted!

Reaction score
Hey guys, new Mac user here. I'm running a new MBA 13" with Lion 10.7.1 installed. Since the SSD is only 128GB, I'm using a SD card for all my mp3's, which are all loaded into iTunes. The SD card is formatted as exFAT, which was done in Lion.

Well, to my complete bewilderment, I've noticed that those mp3s are getting deleted, seemingly at random. Yesterday I checked the card, and the mp3 directory existed, but everything under it was gone. Just completely gone. Last night I spent 4 hours transferring my mp3s back over to it, setting up new directories, etc. Today, I check again, and about 3GB is missing again.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm about to pull my hair out! Could this be the SD card, or is it a Mac/software thing?

Thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
A quick note.

When I go into Disk Utility and do a "verify disk" on the SD card, it finds a TON of problems and asks me to repair the disk. When I do that, it "fixes" everything and then leaves the card completely blank. Something about unexpected files and directories.

Maybe I should format it as a Mac OS Extended partition next time?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anytime you use FAT, whether it be FAT-16, FAT-32, or even exFat, there is a limit to the number of entries which can be stored in the root directory. Once you exceed that number, the system will start deleting the excess. Either format the SD card to HFS+ or NTFS. HFS+ will be best in your situation.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!

The strange thing is that the mp3s weren't in the SD card's root directory. They were in a subdirectory called mp3. Does that matter?

In any case, I reformatted the card as HFS+.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, the same limit goes for sub directories also. FAT can hold just so much data before it starts deleting the excess. HFS is better since it's also journaled which means less chance of data loss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.